The 10 Best Baby Blankets of 2022
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best baby blanket for newborns: Hudson Baby Plush Blanket and Animal Security Blanket
- Best baby quilt: Little Unicorn Cotton Muslin Baby Quilt
- Best budget-friendly baby blanket: Luvable Friends Receiving Blankets Bundle
- Best baby blanket for winter: Hudson Baby Printed Mink Blanket with Sherpa Backing
- Best personalized baby blanket: Stork Wares Personalized Baby Blanket
- Best wearable baby blanket: TILLYOU Cotton Wearable Blanket
- Best baby blanket for strollers: JJ Cole Bundleme
- Best baby blanket for travel: Boritar Baby Minky Blanket
- Best baby blanket for swaddling: aden + anais Cotton Muslin 4pk
- Best eco-friendly baby blanket: Parade Everything Organic Baby Blanket
It is a bit of an understatement to say that baby blankets are adorable.
In addition to being a cute memento of a moment in time in your baby’s life, they’re also incredibly functional.
They keep little ones warm and cozy, are great for swaddling and tummy time, and can be repurposed as throw blankets once your baby has outgrown them.
The options can feel endless with so many styles and materials to choose from.
This article highlights everything you need to know to pick the perfect baby blanket, and presents a few suggestions to narrow your search.
“Babies have skin that is sensitive. The materials in your baby’s blanket should be free of harmful substances.”
Babies, especially infants, have underdeveloped temperature regulation. Therefore, breathable fabrics that encourage airflow and don’t trap sweat or heat are good options.
The top fabric options for babies include these factors.
- The bamboo is rayon.
- A piece of cloth.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), babies should never sleep with a blanket in their crib to avoid suffocation. If you’re worried about your baby getting cold through the night, consider a wearable blanket instead.
We focused on weight, fabric type, size, reviews, and style to create our roundup.
We prioritized the safest options without dangling items that could pose a hazard.
- $ = under $15
- $$ = $15–$30
- $$$ = over $30
Best baby blanket for newborns
Hudson Baby Plush Blanket and Animal Security Blanket
Hudson Baby designed a blanket that is soft and cozy for newborns. It also comes with a stuffed animal.
Multiple gender-neutral prints are included in designs.
The blanket is 76.2 inches wide and the stuffed animal is 14 inches wide. The measurement is 38.6 x 38.6 cm.
Some reviewers say it is soft and that their children quickly fell in love with the included cuddle buddy. Some warn about threads that can break quickly.
- Comes with a matching stuffed animal.
- It is designed with a soft texture that is comforting for little ones.
- Multiple prints of the same gender.
- The threads on the blanket may be torn.
- Some colors can cause staining.
Best baby quilt
Little Unicorn Cotton Muslin Baby Quilt
The editorial director loves these cotton muslin quilts.
They are more of a splurge than other options on the list, but the detail and durability might just be worth it.
There are different patterns and sizes available for these 47 x 47-in. A quilt is a staple in a nursery.
- It was made from 100% cotton.
- The larger size is suitable for older people.
- There is a wide array of styles.
- The thinner material may not be suitable for cooler weather.
Best budget-friendly baby blanket
Luvable Friends Receiving Blankets Bundle
If you buy baby blankets in multi-packs, you will be relieved to know that they are a budget-friendly product.
These flannel receiving blankets are It was made from 100% cotton. and come in packs of 7. If you’re looking for an everyday blanket at a lower price point, this may be a solid option.
They are on the smaller side, measuring 30 x 30 in. They are better used as burp cloths than swaddles. The edges were easy to frayed after a wash.
- A multi-pack with seven blankets.
- The material is 100% cotton.
- There is a wide range of colors.
- Smaller dimensions than alternatives.
- burp cloths are better suited for burping than blankets.
Best baby blanket for winter
Hudson Baby Printed Mink Blanket with Sherpa Backing
A baby blanket is needed to keep little ones warm. The baby blanket was designed to fit 30 x 40 in. There are over 20 different patterns of fuzzy warmth.
Fans of this blanket love that it is Machine-washable., solidly made, and comes with a low price tag.
One mom says that it lost its shape after a few washes.
- Sherpa lining for cooler temperatures.
- There are over 20 different patterns to choose from.
- It may lose its shape after a few washes.
Best personalized baby blanket
Stork Wares Personalized Baby Blanket
“Fleece blankets are made by Stork Wares and come in a variety of themes. You can personalize it with the baby’s name for no additional cost.”
The blankets are printed in the United States. Reviewers say them make a great baby shower gift.
Parents say the blankets are soft and even softer after just one trip through the washing machine.
- There is a wide range of prints.
- “The baby’s name is no additional cost.”
- Parents say they are made with durable construction that is softer with washing.
- A more expensive option.
Best wearable baby blanket
TILLYOU Cotton Wearable Blanket
Babies should sleep with nothing in their crib except a mattress and a breathable crib sheet.
Wearable blankets are a great way to keep your child warm as they sleep.
The set with sleeveless blankets is available in four sizes and can be used by babies from the newborn stage through 24 months.
The prints have a two-way zipper. This allows you to change your baby quickly without removing the sleep sack.
- It is possible to keep sleeping babies warm.
- The set of sleeping blankets is a 2-pack.
- There are four sizes that fit your baby as they grow.
- A loose fit may not be ideal for babies with a strong startle.
- The thinner material may not be suitable for cold weather.
Best baby blanket for strollers
JJ Cole Urban Bundleme
This is a bit of a splurge, but we think it is worth it if you live in a cold climate.
This pick fromJJ Cole is meant to keep your baby warm during cold-weather strolls or car rides.
“The sherpa lining was designed for the Urban Bundleme bunting bag. It is made to fit in with the shape of most strollers and baby carriers, and has zip-up access so you don’t have to struggle to get your little one in and out.”
Plus, the bag has side slits, allowing you to use your stroller’s (or car seat’s) straps to keep your baby secure.
- It stays put even when assembled over a stroller or car seat.
- Sherpa lining is used for comfort in cold weather.
- There are openings to accommodate stroller or car seat harnesses.
- An expensive upgrade.
- It may be too warm for babies that can easily get overheated.
Best baby blanket for travel
Boritar Baby Minky Blanket
If you are a parent who is frequently hitting the road, you will want a blanket that is travel-friendly.
This highly-rated Boritar Minky blanket is meant to be super soft and quick to roll up when not in use. It’s also machine washable for when the inevitable messes happen.
Its small size is 30 x 40 in. You can also choose the oversized blanket that is 50 x 60 in. The space is 127 x 152.4 cm.
“If your little one isn’t using it, you can use it to keep your legs warm on your next flight.”
- If parents prefer an oversized blanket, it is available in two sizes.
- It is easy to roll up for storage.
- Stitching that may come loose.
- “People with sensitive skin may feel that it isn’t soft enough.”
Best baby blanket for swaddling
aden + anais Cotton Muslin Swaddle 4pk
SWaddling can be difficult. Thankfully, these large, lightweight swaddles from aden + anais may make it easier to carry.
The 47 x 47-in. cotton ones are popular with parents because of the wide variety of patterns. They can be thrown in the washing machine.
They are slightly more expensive than other swaddles you can find online. Some people complain about the consistency of the softness.
- It is recommended for sensitive skin.
- Large size can offer a wide range of uses.
- A set of blankets is expensive.
- Some parents said that some blankets in the multipack were soft.
Best eco-friendly baby blanket
Parade Everything Organic Baby Blanket
You can combine your love for your baby with your love for the planet without breaking the bank.
“Parade’s pick is made from certified organic cotton. Eco-friendly dyes are used in the hand-printed patterns.”
The blankets are 40 x 40 in. Parents give rave reviews for the 101.6 x 101.6 cm. The coloring of the movie is different from what you might see in the photos, so manage your expectations accordingly.
- The design is made with 100% organic cotton.
- Large dimensions.
- Natural dyes are used.
- It was pricey for a single blanket.
- There can be color variations in the prints.
|Hudson Baby Plush Blanket and Animal Security Blanket||$||polyester||30 x 36 in. (76.2 x 91.4 cm.)||no|
|Little Unicorn Cotton Muslin Baby Quilt||$$$||cotton||47 x 47 in. (119.4 x 119.4 cm.)||no|
|Luvable Friends Receiving Blankets Bundle||$||cotton||30 x 30 in. (76.2 x 76.2 cm.)||yes|
|Hudson Baby Printed Mink Blanket with Sherpa Backing||$||polyester||30 x 40 in. (76.2 x 101.6 cm.)||no|
|Stork Wares Personalized Baby Blanket||$$$||poly blend||30 x 40 in. (76.2 x 101.6 cm.)||no|
|TILLYOU Cotton Wearable Blanket||$$||cotton||20 x 30 in. (50.8 x 76.2 cm.)||yes|
|JJ Cole Urban Bundleme||$$$||polyester||16 x 25 in. (40.6 x 63.5 cm.)||no|
|Boritar Baby Minky Blanket||$||polyester||30 x 40 in. (76.2 x 101.6 cm.)||no|
|aden + anais Cotton Muslin Swaddle 4pk||$$$||cotton||47 x 47 in. (119.4 x 119.4 cm.)||yes|
|Parade Everything Organic Baby Blanket||$$||cotton||40 x 40 in. (101.6 x 101.6 cm.)||no|
There are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a baby blanket.
- Breathability. Whether a blanket is breathable or not is easier to confirm than you might expect. Simply hold the blanket up in front of a fan or air vent. If you can feel a breeze through it, it’s a smart option for warmer temperatures.
- Materials. Keep in mind that you might need a different weight for cooler weather than in spring and summer. Pick a few options in a range of fabric weights.
- Safety. Avoid baby blankets with attachments like tassels, hanging ribbons, or buttons. Avoid anything that can potentially fray, fall off, or cause a choking or tangling hazard.
- Size and thickness. Baby blankets come in a range of sizes, from the traditional receiving blanket to much larger, thicker options. You might want a variety of sizes and thicknesses for different purposes, from swaddling to tummy time.
- Style. This is, of course, up to you. Consider what you’d like on display in your baby’s nursery and your home.
How many baby blankets do I need for my baby?
This will be dependent on how you plan on using those blankets, how frequently you wash clothes, and your budget.
You might not need as many blankets during the newborn stage because you do laundry almost daily.
Most mothers find that having around 10 to 12 blankets is ideal to have enough for a few days. If you want to use a fresh blanket every time you are in the water, or if your baby has frequent diaper spills, this may be true.
When is it safe for a baby to sleep with blankets?
The AAP outlines that babies younger than 12 months of age should not sleep with blankets.
“Younger babies who haven’t yet learned to roll over can be at risk of suffocation.”
Until your child is old enough to be put to bed in a crib, they should be put to bed with no other items besides a fitted sheet.
What size are baby blankets?
Baby blankets are in many different sizes.
The intended use and the size can affect it.
There are blankets that are 20 x 30 in. The measurement is 50.8 x 76.2 cm. The most popular sizes for traditional use are usually around 30 x 40 in. Or larger.
How do you swaddle a baby in a blanket?
For your baby’s comfort, it’s best to pick a lighter weight blanket that’s breathable and not too firm for swaddling.
- If you want your blanket to look like a triangle, you need to fold it in half.
- “Place your baby’s shoulders parallel to the longest edge of the blanket.”
- “Place it along your baby’s side so that it is slightly bent. Take the corner on the same side of the arm you moved and place it across the baby’s arm and body.”
- “You can put the bottom corner over the baby’s feet. The fabric should be put into the top of the swaddle.”
- “Next, tuck the remaining fabric under the baby, after you have done step 2 with your baby’s other arm.”
Is it safe to cover a baby with a blanket in a car seat?
If your baby is strapped into their car seat first, you can place a blanket on them. If you apply a blanket first, try to fit it into the car seat.
There are so many baby blankets in the market that it can be hard to choose the right one.
The factors to consider are size, material, price, and design.
Remember not to use a blanket on a baby.