We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
The sun and heat are likely to be the biggest challenges for you if you have multiplesclerosis.
A small increase in temperature can cause symptoms to get worse and cause an exacerbation. Your symptoms may get worse as a result.
- Exercise or a lifestyle that is too active.
- Hot showers or baths.
- A cold or other illness can cause a high temperature.
In medical terms, this is known as Uhthoff’s phenomenon. Overheating was actually the basis for diagnosing MS prior to the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Since a slight temperature increase can impair nerve impulses enough to cause symptoms, a “hot tub test” was once used to spur on symptoms.
The quality of life can be impacted by small temperature increases.
- Best vest and neck wrap combo: Polar Products Cool58 Zipper Vest Kit with Vest, Neck Wrap, and Extra Packs
- Best for multiple style options: First Line Technology Standard Basic Cooling Vest
- Best for reducing moisture loss: Arctic Heat Body Cooling Vest
- Best undetectable: ThermApparel UnderCool Cooling Vest
- Best size range: StaCool Under Vest
- Best for fabric choice: Polar Products CoolOr Adjustable Zipper Cooling Vest with Long Kool Max Pack Strips
- Best for businesses: Maranda Enterprises FlexiFreeze Ice Vest
- Best for cyclists: Alpinestars MX Cooling Vest
- Best lightweight cooling vest: TechNiche International Ultra Evaporative Cooling Sport Vest
- Best evaporative cooling vest: Ergodyne Chill-Its 6667 Evaporative Cooling Vest
There are different cooling vests with different features. Active cooling vests can be more It is expensive. but they can keep the body cool longer. Gel pack or passive cooling vests are More It is affordable.. than other cooling options. We have chosen to only include gel pack and passive cooling vests. We also included cooling accessories for the patient. Customer reviews, price point, and features were some of the factors that we used to pick these items.
- $ = under $100
- $$ = $100-$300
- $$$ = over $300
Best vest and neck wrap combo
Details: This kit includes a vest, neck wrap, and extra cooling packs, making it an ally in taking care of your MS. The cotton twill cooling vest uses packs that you can make cool again with just a bucket of ice water. It’s a bit higher in cost, but it could be a choice worth considering if you’re traveling, camping, or spending time anywhere a refrigerator or freezer isn’t available.
The vest is suitable for a variety of sizes, activities, and climates, and it is a great fit for a variety of people. It can be worn under your clothes or over yours. It is also machine washed.
- Good for use outdoors.
- People with most body types can wear it.
- It is expensive.
- The polar cooler is sold separately.
Best for multiple style options
Details: This vest has a two-piece, over-the-shoulder design meant to work well for a variety of activities. It’s also designed to offer comfort while lounging.
There are three material options for this vest.
- Machine is clean.
- Side extenders are sold separately to accommodate larger sizes.
- Only black or white is available.
Best for reducing moisture loss
Details: This lightweight vest uses embedded gel and can stay cool for up to 2 hours. It mimics the body’s natural cooling process through its two body-cooling fabrics. The inner fabric is designed to eliminate sweating and moisture loss.
The performance vest was created with the athlete in mind and might work better for people who plan to be involved in shorter periods of time outdoors. It is available in sizes from small to large, and may be better suited for larger body types.
- Body temperature can be reduced up to 30 degrees.
- Very light.
- Does not restrict movement.
- It only provides cooling for up to 2 hours.
- High environmental temperature can affect cooling time.
Details: This one comes in at under 2 pounds. It’s designed to be thin enough to wear under your clothing, but also attractive enough all on its own to look like basic gym wear. With wide holes for your arms and neck, it allows for freedom of movement.
The UnderCool vest uses small, thin cooling packs that can keep you cool for about 90 minutes. It comes with an extra set of cooling packs as well, so you can simply change them out to extend your time outside or in the gym. Made of nylon and spandex, it’s Machine is clean..
- can be discreetly worn.
- It is possible to wear clothing over for convenient cooling on the go.
- A good fit for certain body types can be ensured with optional gender specific sizing.
- Only cools for a few hours.
Best size range
Details: Unlike some other vests, the StaCool Under Vest was designed specifically for people with MS in mind. This vest uses four ThermoPak gel packs and provides 3 hours of cooling relief per ThermoPak set.
It can be worn under or over clothes. It is slightly heavier than other options and weighs around 5 lbs. This is something to keep in mind when you decide whether to accept it.
- It was designed for people with Multiplesclerosis.
- Comes in a wide range of sizes.
- It is easy to put on and off.
- The cooling vests are heavier.
Best for fabric choice
Details: This vest uses frozen water-based cooling packs that fit into insulated pockets. The cooling packs, which should be kept in the freezer until solid, are made of biodegradable materials and are reusable for years. They stay cool for up to 4 hours at a time.
The vest weighs 4–6 lbs., depending on the size you purchase. You can choose between cotton and nylon for your vest fabric. Both are Machine is clean.. Because of its lower price point and ease of use, this is a popular choice for those affected by heat sensitivity.
- The packs last up to 4 hours.
- Machine is clean.
- cooling packs are not harmful.
- freezer packs must be frozen solid.
- The body is heavier than most cooling packs.
- polar cooler and freezer container are not sold together.
Best for businesses
Details: The FlexiFreeze ice vest is insulated with neoprene, to keep external heat out. It claims to be “the lightest, thinnest, best performing, and most cost effective cooling vest.” This vest is only available to be purchased in bulk, making it a good choice for businesses.
Rather than gel packs, ice is used as the cooling mechanism. As the ice melts, it draws heat out of your body. When the ice sheets are removed, both the vest and panels are Machine is clean.. It comes with either a Velcro or zipper closure.
- Ice draws heat out of the body.
- Machine is clean.
- It is thin and lightweight.
- Not available for sale individually.
Best for cyclists
Details: Designed for sports, this evaporative vest uses a polymer-embedded material that absorbs water, and then slowly releases it in layers of fabric. Unlike a cooling mechanism, it relies on an evaporative process and wicking action to keep you cool. It may keep you cool for several hours.
It is lightweight and sporty, and can be used as a sleeveless T-shirt than a cooling vest.
- It was made from mesh and polyester.
- The armholes are designed to be more comfortable.
- More It is affordable..
- Some people may not have enough cooling.
- The sides and top of the garment are sewn into cooling fabric.
Best lightweight cooling vest
Details: Among the least It is expensive. options, this lightweight pullover vest can provide 5 to 10 hours of cooling relief per soaking. This vest absorbs sweat and releases the moisture slowly through evaporation. Evaporative vests may be best for low-humidity climates.
This vest is for people who ride bikes, runners, and motocross riders. It is a great option for people who are more active. It can be washed in a machine and comes in a variety of colors and sizes.
- It is affordable.
- Machine is clean.
- It is possible that the vest is not appropriate for all climates.
Best evaporative cooling vest
Details: This evaporative cooling vest works by using evaporation to cool down the body. For it to work, you must first soak the vest in cold water. Embedded polymers in the fabric soak up many times their weight in water. The cold water is then slowly released via evaporation.
“The cooling vest is lime green and gray. You don’t need anything heavy. After soaking in cold water for a few minutes, it can last up to 4 hours.”
The vest has mesh side panels that provide water-repellent inner liners and can be worn over a shirt. Just wash it by hand and use it again and again.
- Does not require cold storage.
- cooling lasts a long time
- Only hand wash.
- Comes with a warning.
- Not available in small sizes.
Adding accessories to your cooling vest can help you feel cooler when the heat is on. You may only need a quick boost. There are lots of cooling products to choose from. Here are a few ideas to start.
Details: This cooling towel comes in four sizes. It can work as a neck wrap, bandana, or in any creative way you like. Because it’s so versatile, it’s a good value for the price. It “It’s cold fast.” and It stays cool for up to 3 hours.. This towel is available in nearly 20 different colors.
- It stays cool for up to 3 hours.
- “It’s cold fast.”
- The small towel is too small to provide much cooling.
Details: Give this cap a quick tie in the back and you should be all set for 5 to 10 hours of cooling action. Mesh construction provides a nice airflow and it’s sturdy enough for everyday use. One size fits all, and this cap comes in a variety of colors and patterns.
- It provides 10 hours of cooling.
- It is It is durable..
- One size fits all.
- Users mention receiving the wrong color.
Details: According to the company, just wet these wristbands and they stay cool for hours. One size fits most people and they’re Machine is clean.. They’re a simple and convenient option.
- It is It is easy to use..
- One size fits most wrists.
- It provides cooling for a long time.
- Users complain about shoddy workmanship and seams that open quickly.
Details: One of the quickest ways to cut the heat is with a cooling bandana. Just position it around your neck for immediate relief that can last up to 4 hours. This one comes in a variety of styles and they’re easy to wash and reuse.
- It can cool for up to 4 hours.
- It is It is durable..
- It is It is easy to use..
- Users say it can be difficult to remove the bandana knot.
|Brand||Price $-$$$||Maximum cooling time (varies by wearer)|
|Polar Products Cool58 Zipper Vest Kit||$$$||3 hours|
|First Line Technology Standard Basic Cooling Vest||$$$||3 hours|
|Arctic Heat Body Cooling Vest||$$||2 hours|
|ThermApparel UnderCool Cooling Vest||$$||90 minutes|
|StaCool Under Vest||$$||3 hours|
|Polar Products CoolOr Adjustable Zipper Cooling Vest||$$||4 hours|
|Maranda Enterprises FlexiFreeze Ice Vest||$||1.5-3.5 hours|
|Alpinestars MX Cooling Vest||$||several hours|
|TechNiche International Ultra Evaporative Cooling Sport Vest||$-$$$||5-10 hours|
|Ergodyne Chill-Its 6667 Evaporative Cooling Vest||$||5-10 hours|
|Alfamo Cooling Towel||$||3 hours|
|TechNiche HyperKewl 6536 Evaporative Cooling Skull Cap||$||5-10 hours|
|Mission Enduracool Cooling Wristbands||$||several hours|
|Ergodyne Chill-Its 6700CT Evaporative Cooling Bandana with Tie Closure||$||4 hours|
Make sure the vest you choose fits you properly. A vest that is too loose-fitting may not be the right one.
Other features to consider include.
- How long will it keep you cool?
- What is involved in cooling the vest?
- How much is it weighed?
- How should it be washed?
- Whether it is for passive or active activities.
- Whether it can be worn under clothing.
- The price point for use.
Why do people with MS need a cooling vest?
In MS, heat sensitivity is common. Symptom flare-ups can be reduced by this.
How effective are cooling vests?
The cooling vests are very effective at cooling the body off. The effects of variables such as body mass index, external temperature, and clothes on effectiveness can be seen. You may have to try to find the best one.
Are cooling vests safe?
Most people use cooling vests. If they are the right choice for you, you should check with your doctor.
Are cooling vests covered by insurance?
“Insurance companies don’t cover cooling vests. There are exceptions. If you have a diagnosis of Multiplesclerosis, your insurance may cover the cost of your vest.”
How long does a cooling vest last?
The cooling vest cooling times are based on the product you buy. You can expect your vest to provide cooling for up to four hours.
Cooling vests aren’t usually covered by health insurance. Still, it never hurts to double-check with your insurance provider. If you have a flexible spending account (FSA), it’s a good idea to check if the program covers a cooling vest or cooling accessories. Some programs may also help offset the cost, such as the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA) and the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation. Military veterans may also qualify for a free Polar Products cooling vest through the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
Listening to your body and knowing your limitations is the most important thing. The symptoms of Multiplesclerosis can be successfully managed.
It is important to be aware of techniques that can help you stay cool.