We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best pillow for stomach and side sleepers: The Saatva Latex Pillow
- Best soft pillows for stomach sleepers: I AM A Stomach Sleeper Pillow
- Best CPAP pillow for stomach sleepers: Contour Living CPAP Pillow 2.0
- Best hypoallergenic pillow for stomach sleepers: Jollyvogue Two-Pack Hypoallergenic Pillows
- Best flat pillow for stomach sleepers: Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper
- Best down pillow for stomach sleepers: Downlite Extra Soft Down Pillow
- Best cooling pillow: Bluewave Bedding Super-Slim, Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow
- Best wedge pillow for stomach sleepers: Hermell Face Down Wedge Pillow
- Best body pillow for stomach sleepers: Coop Home Goods Body Pillow
Sleeping on your stomach may help alleviate snoring and sleep apnea. But unless you’re lying facedown, it’s not the best position for spine health. Because you have to keep your neck turned for long periods, stomach sleeping can cause jaw, back, or neck problems over time. It can also cause pain and stiffness when you wake up each day.
The right pillow for stomach sleeping may help address these concerns. If you want your head to not be elevated too high, you should look for a flat pillow. A cutout pillow is also a good option.
The pillows we picked for this list are designed to support stomach sleepers and for combination sleepers who move around during the night. We chose these pillows based on:
- Brand reputation: These pillows come from trusted, transparent manufacturers. People who have used them give them high ratings. Read more about our vetting process here.
- The make of the pillow: In choosing these pillow options for stomach sleepers, we looked at each pillow’s construction, materials, price points, and ease of cleaning.
- Budget: We looked at a range of pillows with different prices to make sure that we suggest products for a wide range of budgets.
The pillows on our list are standard, jumbo, queen, or king size. They range from $30 to $145. The price is a set of two.
The price for each pillow was indicated using this guide.
- $ = under $50
- $$ = $50–$100
- $$$ = over $100
The best pillows for sleeping on your stomach are listed here.
Best pillow for stomach and side sleepers
The Saatva Latex Pillow
- Price: $$$
- Size: queen, king
- Height: 8 inches
- Considerations: The pillow is filled with latex and has an inner cover and outer layer, but only the outer can be machine washed.
The pillow is dense and flat, which makes it easy to sleep in. If you are a stomach and side combination sleeping, this pillow might be a good choice.
The fill is made from shredded American latex. The shredded fill helps promote air flow and cool you down.
The latex in this pillow may be an allergen for some people. If you have a latex allergy, this might not be the best option for you.
Best soft pillows for stomach sleepers
I AM A Stomach Sleeper Pillow
- Price: $
- Size: jumbo, king
- Height: 7 inches
- Considerations: The pillow is machine washable and can be fluffed back to shape after.
This is the most comfortable option if you want a soft pillow. It provides support while still protecting your head and neck.
The fill is made of fiber and the cover is cotton.
Best CPAP pillow for stomach sleepers
Contour Living CPAP Pillow 2.0
- Price: $$
- Size: 13.5 x 21 inches
- Height: 5.2 inches, though it’s adjustable
- Considerations: The pillow has removable layers so you can adjust its height and is designed to work with CPAP machines.
Your doctor may recommend that you use a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine for a number of medical conditions, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
A machine that uses air through a tube to help you sleep is called a CPAP machine. If you use a machine for sleep, it can be difficult to sleep. The pillow works with most mask brands.
The mesh on the other side is designed to allow air to flow through. The other side is made of fiberfill. The side with the most room for your mask and hose is the one with the most indentations.
The pillow has a crescent-shaped bottom to accommodate your shoulder when you twist it. The core is infused with foam that helps eliminate odors.
Best hypoallergenic pillow for stomach sleepers
Jollyvogue Two-Pack Hypoallergenic Pillows
- Price: $
- Size: standard, queen, king
- Height: adjustable
- Considerations: The pillow is machine washable and dryable, and arrives vacuum sealed, so it will need to be aired out and fluffed once unpacked
The pillows have inner cores that allow you to adjust the amount of fill to your liking. They are suitable for back and side sleeping.
The microfiber fill is polyester. It’s also hypoallergenic, which means it’s unlikely to cause an allergic reaction.
Users say the fill mimics the feeling of down. This pillow is a good choice if you are looking for a down alternative.
The knitted outer cover is very soft.
Best flat pillow for stomach sleepers
Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper
- Price: $$
- Size: 16 x 24 inches
- Height: 2.5 inches
- Considerations: The fill is a latex memory foam that’s mildew resistant — but the pillow is not machine washable; only the removable cotton cover can be thrown in the washer.
This is one of the slimmest pillows you can find. It has a flat bottom. People who have used this pillow recommend it for people who like to sleep with their arm under the pillow.
The pillow is a great choice for camping and travel.
If you have a latex allergy, look for another low profile pillow instead. Read on to learn about Bluewave Bedding’s super-slim option, our pick for cooling pillows.
Best down pillow for stomach sleepers
Downlite Extra Soft Down Pillow
- Price: $$$
- Size: standard, queen, king
- Height: 4 inches
- Considerations: This pillow is hypoallergenic and is machine washable and dryable.
The pillow is very dense and flat because it is filled with duck down. Stomach sleepers have said that the pillow is soft and slim.
It folds easily without losing its shape.
Down items, including pillows, take particular care steps for washing and drying because of the natural qualities of down feathers. For example, they’ll clump together when wet and have natural oils that help keep structure and loft.
Best cooling pillow
Bluewave Bedding Super-Slim, Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow
- Price: $
- Size: standard
- Height: 3.25 inches
- Considerations: The pillow’s outer covering is removable and washable, and made of a polyester and bamboo-derived rayon blend.
The height of the pillow makes it a good option for stomach, side, and back sleeping.
Instead of traditional fill, this pillow is made with foam. The foam is CertiPUR-US certified, which means the inner gel foam has been tested for certain chemicals and for emissions of volatile organic compounds. This pillow doesn’t give off any harmful gasses or produce a chemical smell.
The gel core is used to cool the pillow. It is designed to keep heat away from your head and neck.
People who have used this pillow say it is soft and comfortable.
Best body pillow for stomach sleepers
Coop Home Goods Body Pillow
- Price: $$
- Size: 20 x 54 inches
- Height: adjustable
- Considerations: The pillow’s core is encased in a polyester lining, while its outer cover is polyester and bamboo-derived viscose-rayon.
Stomach sleepers may benefit from sleeping on a body pillow.
This one from Coop Home Goods has a CertiPUR-US certified shredded memory foam core. The gel helps keep the heat out.
You can adjust the amount and placement of fill so that it is thinner near your neck and head and thicker in the middle of the pillow. This can help with neutral spine alignment.
Because it’s so adjustable, this pillow is popular with pregnant people, back and side sleepers, and stomach sleepers.
|Saatva Pillow||$$$||microdenier fiber with a cotton cover||washable cover|
|I AM A Stomach Sleeper Pillow||$||polyester fill with a cotton cover||machine washable|
|Contour Living CPAP Pillow 2.0||$$||fiber filling and memory foam (one on either side) with a mesh cover||not specified|
|Jollyvogue Two-Pack Hypoallergenic Pillows||$||microfiber cover with a knit cotton cover||machine washable|
|Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper||$$||latex with a cotton cover||washable cover|
|Downlite Extra Soft Down Pillow||$$$||duck down with a cotton cover||machine washable|
|Bluewave Bedding Super-Slim, Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow||$||foam with a polyester and bamboo-derived rayon blend||washable cover|
|Hermell Face Down Wedge Pillow||$||memory foam with a polyester cotton blend cover||washable cover|
|Coop Home Goods Body Pillow||$$||shredded foam with a bamboo-derived viscose-rayon cover||washable (if it fits in your machines — if not, the company recommends using a cover)|
If you sleep on your stomach, look for pillows that are made of soft material.
- Provide medium-firm support: It’s important to choose a pillow that’s relatively flat and doesn’t exceed 3.5 inches in height. For many stomach sleepers, less is more. You may find your most perfect pillow only raises your head around 2 inches.
- Are good quality: No matter your budget, remember that pillows are not meant to last for years. Even the highest quality pillow will eventually start to sag or become stained.
- Can be cleaned easily: You also want to avoid sleeping on an old pillow that has become contaminated with allergens, mold, or dust mites. Using a pillow protector can help prolong the life of your pillow.
- Are nontoxic: Pillows are made from a wide range of fills and coverings. Some may contain chemical toxins you want to avoid. If you’re looking for a more sustainable (“green”) pillow, choose one that’s made from organic or vegan materials. Any pillow that comes with a CertiPUR-US or Greenguard Gold guarantee is toxin-free.
Sleeping on your stomach can put a strain on your back. To reduce stress on your spine, try doing stretches right before bedtime, as well as first thing in the morning. These eight stretches might help your body relax before bed.
Sleeping on your stomach has also been linked to acne breakouts. To avoid this, make sure you completely remove makeup and dirt from your face before sleeping. Some people use a silk pillowcase to help with skincare. It may also help to change your pillowcase more frequently.
How common is stomach sleeping?
According to a
Is sleeping on your stomach bad for you?
Sleeping on your stomach may cause strain in your neck and back. In fact, a small 2016 study shows that stomach sleeping may be the least supportive position for your back.
In addition, stomach sleeping is not recommended for those who are pregnant. This is in part because the extra weight around your midsection puts pressure on the spine.
Do I need a pillow if I sleep on my stomach?
If you sleep on your stomach, some experts recommend using a pillow underneath your pelvis to help with spinal alignment.
It is best to avoid pillows underneath your head. If you decide to use a pillow, it is best to use a thinner one.
Stomach sleeping is good for alleviating sleep apnea, but it can be hard on the neck and spine.
Medium-firm support and relatively flat pillows are what the best pillows for stomach sleepers provide.
There are a wide range of materials and prices for stomach pillows.
You can buy a pillow at any price range. Some budget pillows are just as good as expensive ones. Quality and comfort are not always an indicator of price.