Ro Sperm Storage and Fertility Kit Review: What to Know
Problems with ejaculating, an unusual shape, or movement of the sperm are some of the things infertility can look like for people with penises.
At-home test kits
The Ro Sperm Kit comes with a year of sperm storage service, which is a must for at- home testing.
Here is what you need to know about the Ro Sperm Storage and Fertility Kit.
The Ro Sperm Kit is a sperm testing and storage service certified by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA). Ro, a direct-to-patient healthcare technology company, offers the kit to people with penises.
Ro’s mission is to make healthcare more accessible and convenient to penis owners. A
- The kit gives free sperm storage in the first year.
- It is FDA approved and certified by the CLIA.
- You can talk to a nurse. They will explain the results of your semen analysis, answer your questions, and discuss next steps.
- You can get free overnight return shipping when you drop the kit off at any of the locations.
- Third parties cannot access your semen sample because it is tamper-proof.
- “You have to pay $299 to withdraw your sperm, even though it’s free. You can decide to keep it.”
- After the first year, it costs you 99 to keep your sperm.
- “You can’t get a sperm analysis without using their sperm storage service.”
Ro sperm kits are for people who want to test and cryopreserve their sperm for future use without leaving the comfort of their homes.
Ro warns that “a semen analysis alone cannot be used to predict fertility.” If you’d like to understand your fertility status, consider consulting with a healthcare professional.
“Ro is a company that provides access to healthcare services for people who don’t have insurance.”
Roman is Ro’s telehealth service dedicated to men. They can help with your:
- Weight management.
- Sexual health.
- Body and hair care.
- daily healthcare
- Mental health.
- Skin care.
“Ro offers sperm testing and storage. You will receive a report on your sperm, and it will be preserved. They don’t work with people who want to donate sperm.”
The Ro sperm kit has two options.
- Semen analysis and storage ($199). This kit covers the storage of three vials of sperm and a semen analysis report.
- Semen analysis and additional storage ($599). This kit covers the storage of nine vials of sperm and a semen analysis report.
The Ro sperm kit is only available for purchase on the Ro website. You cannot get it from third-party retailers like Amazon and Target.
You need to use the kit.
- Order your kit. You can order their at-home semen kit from their website. When the kit gets to you, register it using the unique ID at the bottom of the cup.
- Collect your sample. Take your sample by masturbating in the cup until you ejaculate. Ro advises avoiding lubricant, but you can use fertility-friendly options if you need to. Any sperm account that you ejaculate is enough for testing and storing. However, Ro suggests not ejaculating for 3 days before using the kit.
- Preserve your sample. Ro instructs users to keep the sample at room temperature. After locking it into the box, push the button on the lid to release the preservative.
- Return the kit back to the lab. From there, you can return the kit to their partner lab, New England Cryogenic Center (NECC). Drop it off at any UPS location on a weekday for free overnight shipping.
- Get your results. When the sample arrives at the lab, a technician will analyze your sample and test your sperm count, concentration, and motility. You’ll receive your semen analysis report via email within 48 hours. You can also speak with a registered nurse to discuss your results and next steps.
Storing your sample
You will get a free sample in the first year. You can withdraw it at any time for $299. You can keep it for another year for 99.
“The site’s FAQ page states that any amount can be frozen and viable even if it is less than three vials.”
Although it’s not mandatory, Ro recommends checking your sexually transmitted infection (STI) status before taking a sample. They advise getting a full STI panel that measures:
- “It’s a sexually transmitted disease, called chlamydia.”
- Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease.
- The types of the disease are 1 and 2.
- The person is HIV
- The disease is called hepatitis C.
- There is a disease called syphilis.
- There is a disease called trichomoniasis.
“Ro doesn’t give any information about what happens if you test positive for an STD and whether they can keep your sample.”
Ro Sperm Kits are FDA approved and certified to test for viability of sperm cells.
You may not want to rely on a sperm analysis to know your complete fertility status. A
If you want to learn more about your fertility and sperm count, you should talk to a doctor.
“Ro does not offer a sperm analysis report without at least a year of storage. If you want to withdraw your sperm, you need to send an email to email@example.com. They don’t specify whether there are charges associated with this transaction.”
The Ro sperm storage service allows you to cryopreserve your sperm at their partner lab to raise your fertility options.
Cryopreserving sperm started around
- They are undergoing a variety of treatments, including vasectomy.
- Are at risk of death or injury.
- The sperm quality is getting worse.
According to the Human Fertilisation & Embryology Authority, you can store your sperm for up to 55 years.
Ro is a healthcare technology company. They provide a variety of services.
Ro acquired Dadi, a fertility company, in 2022. Then, they converted Dadi at-home fertility test and sperm storage kits to Ro sperm kits.
Dadi has a 3.8- out of 5-star rating from 101 reviews on Trustpilot. Previous purchasers reported enjoying a seamless experience ordering the kit, using it, and interacting with their customer service.
Some people report late delivery times after ordering a kit.
The Ro Sperm Kit uses two-factor authentication to keep third parties from accessing your sample.
The sperm samples are securely cryopreserved at NECC, a pioneering cryogenic lab facility existing since 1971. This lab facility has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). This rating is the BBB’s perception of the company’s relationship with their clients.
Ro Sperm Kits are a good option, but there are other alternatives.
myLAB Box At Home Male Fertility Test
The FDA-cleared semen test kit allows you to receive a semen analysis at home.
The Home Sperm Kit comes with two test kits that are delivered in discreet packaging. You can download the app to take the test.
You can share your live video of your sperm with a healthcare professional, family, and friends if you receive your results in 10 minutes.
The test kit does not come with sperm storage.
YO Home Sperm Test
Yo Home Sperm Test is FDA and CE-cleared. It allows you to get semen analysis without going to a lab.
You can order any of their kits to use the Yo Home Sperm Test.
- Male Fertility Sperm Test x2 ($79.95) comes with 2 tests.
- Male Fertility Sperm Test x4 ($99.95) comes with 4 tests.
- Male Fertility Sperm Test x6 ($118.96) comes with 6 tests.
- Sperm & Egg — Test, Predict, Confirm x1 Cycle ($99.99) tests your sperm and confirms your partner’s ovulation and fertility window for one cycle.
- Sperm & Egg — Test, Predict, Confirm x2 Cycles ($169.99) tests your sperm and confirms your partner’s ovulation and fertility window for two cycles.
- Sperm & Egg — Test, Predict, Confirm x3 Cycles ($224.99) tests your sperm and confirms your partner’s ovulation and fertility window for three cycles.
You can take the test and receive your result in the comfort of your home by following the instructions on the YO Home Sperm Test app.
YO Score is the result indicated. The higher your YO score, the more likely you are to get pregnant within a short period. You can share your results with a doctor.
Legacy Home Sperm Test Kits and Home Sperm Freezing Kits
Legacy offers at- home sperm testing and storage services for people who want to learn about and improve their sperm health. The sperm analysis measures sperm volume, count, and concentration.
You will use their service.
- The kit can be ordered from their website. Your delivery will arrive in 24 hours.
- Before taking your sample, register your kit with your identification to keep it private.
- The Legacy team will pick up your sample from your home and take it to their lab facility.
- You will receive your semen analysis report within 3 days. You can talk to a fertility expert about your results.
If your sperm passes their post-thaw semen analysis, they will preserve it in their lab facility.
Their services are available in four different packages.
- For Today ($195) covers 1 sperm analysis.
- For Today with Same-Day Results ($280) covers 1 sperm analysis, and you get your results on the same day.
- For Tomorrow ($995) includes 2 semen analyses, 1 DNA fragmentation analysis, and 5 years of semen preservation.
- Forever ($3,995) covers 3 semen analyses, 2 DNA fragmentation analyses, and lifetime semen preservation.
|Ro||$199–$599 depending on the kit||The kit uses 2-factor authentication and your sperm is preserved in a CLIA certified lab.||The free 1-year storage costs $99 for each additional year.||3.8- out of 5-star rating from 110 reviews on Trust Pilot|
|myLAB Box||$89||You can take your test and receive your test result from your home. Your account on the app is private to you, and you can choose to share your results with a doctor.||No sperm storage is available.||4/9- out of 5-star rating on the website|
|Legacy||$195–$3,995 depending on the kit||You’ll receive your test kit on your private dashboard, which complies with modern privacy standards. The sperm testing is carried out in a CLIA certified lab.||You can store it monthly for $14.95, annually for $145, and every 5 years for $595.||4.9- out of 5-star rating on Google|
|YO Home Sperm Test||$79.95–$224.99depending on the kit||You can take your test and receive your test result from your home. Your account on the app is private to you, and you can choose to share your results with a doctor.||No sperm storage is available.||4.3- out of 5-star rating from 4418 reviews on Amazon|
Ro recommends avoiding sex for 3 days before you collect your sample.
They recommend checking your full status before taking your sample. It is not mandatory, but many fertility clinics require proof of a negative STI status before starting fertility treatment.
According to the
- Being in a larger body.
- Drug use and excess alcohol use.
Exposure to these can affect sperm health.
- testosterone levels
- There is radiation.
- The temperature for the testes can be high from using a wheelchair, sauna, or hot tub.
- Certain drugs.
- Certain environmental toxins like pesticides, lead, and mercury.
A slightly atypical result does not mean infertility.
If you want to know more about your fertility status, you should visit a doctor. They can look at a number of factors that may affect fertility.
If you and your partner have been trying to get pregnant for at least a year, you can visit a doctor.
How accurate is the Ro Sperm Kit?
Do mail-in sperm test kits work?
You need an expert to interpret your results. You may want to see a doctor for a better understanding of your fertility health.
Penis owners can use at- home sperm test kits to better understand their sperm health.
The Ro Sperm Kit allows you to understand your fertility options and put your sperm health in your hands.
“If you have any concerns, talk to a doctor. Regular check-ins can’t be replaced with sperm test kits to check on fertility.”
Frances Gatta is a freelance healthcare writer with experience writing on general health, women’s health, healthcare technology, Mental health., and personalized nutrition. You can connect with her on Twitter and LinkedIn.