25 of the Best Home Gym Equipment Items of 2022
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best workout mat: Gaiam Premium Extra-Thick Yoga Mat
- Best Resistance bands.: Whatafit Resistance Bands
- Best workout bench: FLYBIRD Adjustable Weight Bench
- Best heavy bag: FITVEN Freestanding Punching Bag
- Best equipment mat: BalanceFrom GoFit Equipment Mat
- Best suspension trainer: TRX Home2 System
- Best adjustable dumbbells: Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- Best versatile dumbbells: CAP Barbell 52.5-Pound Adjustable Dumbbell
- Best kettlebells: Rogue Rubber Coated Kettlebells
- Best adjustable kettlebell: Stamina Adjustable Kettle Versa-bell
- Best barbell: Rogue Fitness The Ohio Bar
- Best weight plates: Rogue Fitness Echo Bumper Plates V2
- Best all-in-one home gym: Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym
- Best power rack: PRx Performance Profile Squat Rack with Kipping Bar
- Best workout mirror: Tempo Studio
- Best rowing machine: Hydrow Rower
- Best home exercise bike: Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycling Bike
- Best smart bike: NordicTrack New S22i Studio Cycle
- Best recumbent bike: Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
- Best high end treadmill: NordicTrack New Commercial 2950 Treadmill
- Best basic treadmill: Sole F80 Treadmill
- Best elliptical machine: NordicTrack Commercial 14.9
- Best The rope is jump rope.: XYLsports Jump Rope
- Best medicine ball: Champion Sports Medicine Ball
- Best core sliders: Synergee Core Sliders
The landscape of the home gym has changed over the past few years.
Many people are dedicating space to work out in their homes and garages, which is a change from the past.
There are many ways to stay in shape without going to a gym.
To help you get started, we have selected our favorite pieces of home gym equipment to fit a variety of fitness needs and budgets.
There are a few key factors to consider when shopping for home gym equipment.
- Purpose. Are you looking to build strength, or is cardio more important? You’ll want to prioritize items that meet your current fitness needs, especially if you don’t have the space or budget for multiple pieces of equipment.
- Price. Gym equipment items range in price from around $10 to several thousand dollars. While you shouldn’t sacrifice safety or quality, you can often save money by choosing products with fewer high tech features such as touch screens and Bluetooth capabilities.
- Warranties. Even high quality gym equipment can break, which is why it’s important to pay attention to the type of warranty the manufacturer or retailer provides.
- Customer reviews. Make sure to read several customer reviews, as they often provide honest feedback about the design, durability, and functionality of a product.
The products were selected using the criteria.
- Versatility. To help save money and space, we looked for equipment that can be used for a variety of exercises.
- Materials. From kettlebells to cardio machines, we included products that are stable, reliable, and well made overall.
- Size. We looked for items that work for home gyms of all sizes.
- Customer reviews. All the products below have mostly positive customer reviews.
- Vetting. All the brands included have been vetted to ensure that they meet Healthline’s business standards.
A note on price
The general price ranges are indicated by dollar signs. Four dollar signs indicate a higher cost, whereas one dollar signs indicate affordability.
The list prices range from $10 to $2,799.99, though this may vary depending on available discounts and where you shop.
The pricing guide.
- $ = under $150
- $$ = $150–$700
- $$$ = $700–$2,000
- $$$$ = over $2,000
Best workout mat
Gaiam Premium Extra-Thick Yoga Mat
- Price: $
- Pros: textured surface prevents slipping, padding is comfortable for the joints
- Cons: paint may come off or smudge, too thin for some
A workout mat is a simple yet essential piece of exercise gear for everything from yoga and stretching to weightlifting and high intensity interval training.
The Gaiam Premium Extra-Thick Yoga Mat is one of the best because it is affordable, available in a variety of colors and styles, and easy to clean.
It has a textured nonslip surface to keep you safe while you sweat.
The mat is just 3 pounds and is thick enough to fit on almost any surface.
Best Resistance bands.
Whatafit Resistance Bands
- Price: $
- Pros: affordable, versatile, compact
- Cons: poor durability, may snap
Ideal for those tight on space, Resistance bands. offer a compact and budget-friendly way to add intensity to your workout.
Resistance bands are color-coded according to their tension levels. It is best to buy a set for maximum flexibility.
Many bands also include accessories, such as handles and door anchors, to improve your range of motion and allow for a greater number of exercises.
The Whatafit bands range from 10 to 50 pounds of resistance when used individually and can be combined for up to 150 pounds of resistance to help grow and strengthen your muscles.
The kit includes five Resistance bands., two handles, two ankle straps, a door anchor, and a travel bag to keep all your equipment in one place.
Best workout bench
FLYBIRD Adjustable Weight Bench
- Price: $
- Pros: foldable design, made of steel and vegan leather, sturdy, lightweight
- Cons: lightweight, so it might move around easily; lacks lumbar support; might be too short or narrow for some users
The FLYBIRD is a popular choice for any home gym, with more than half of the reviews being 5 stars.
With six back and four seat positions, the bench is easily adjustable for a full-body workout.
It’s also made from high quality steel and durable leather, so you don’t have to worry about it tearing or breaking anytime soon. Plus, the bench is foldable and weighs only 21.3 pounds, so it’s easy to move and store.
It comes fully assembled and supports up to 600 pounds for a safe and stable workout.
Best heavy bag
FITVEN Freestanding Punching Bag
- Price: $$
- Pros: absorbs shock, reduces noise, sturdy
- Cons: difficult to fill, base may leak water
If you enjoy boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts, a freestanding heavy bag and some boxing gloves are a great investment.
Standing 70 inches (177.8 cm) tall, this punching bag from FITVEN is flexible and durable.
It has springs that absorb shock and reduce noise better than its competitors.
“It is freestanding, so you don’t have to worry about anchoring it to your ceiling.”
The company recommends using sand for better stability, even though you can fill the base with water.
Best equipment mat
BalanceFrom GoFit High Density Equipment Mat
- Price: $
- Pros: textured nonslip surface, protects floor from sweat, may absorb noise and vibrations
- Cons: rips, too thin for some, may stain floor
BalanceFrom Gofit High Density Equipment Mat is made of a high density textured material that prevents slippage, adds stability to your exercise equipment, and protects your floor, and is available in two sizes and a foldable option.
The mat may help reduce noise.
While the 3 x 6.5-foot (91.4 x 198-cm) mat is large enough for most cardio machines, the 2.5 x 5-foot (76.2 x 152.4-cm) size works well for smaller equipment or as a supportive surface for bodyweight cardio exercises.
The mat is easy to clean and roll up for storage.
Best suspension trainer
TRX Home2 System
- Price: $$
- Pros: lightweight, adjustable, durable, portable
- Cons: expensive, requires strong anchor point
This suspension training kit from TRX is a great way to complete a full-body workout.
Featuring a series of straps and handles, suspension trainers allow you to perform a full-body resistance workout without weights.
Instead, the trainer uses gravity and your body weight to provide resistance during exercises, including lunges, squats, pullups, pushups, and planks.
Adding instability to bodyweight moves helps you use more of your core muscles, which increases the difficulty of workouts.
The system is lightweight and can be adjusted to fit any size and fitness level.
The Home2 system is a good option for beginners. It includes a mesh travel pouch, suspension training strap, door anchor, and 35-page workout guide.
Best adjustable dumbbells
Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- Price: $$
- Pros: space-saving design, convenient storage tray, easy to switch weights
- Cons: bulky, might be too light for some
No home gym is complete without dumbbells.
Useful for a variety of exercises such as biceps curls, triceps kickbacks, weighted lunges, and Russian twists, dumbbells are a versatile piece of exercise equipment designed to strengthen and tone your body.
Buying a set of weights can be expensive and requires a lot of space. We recommend the SelectTech 552.
These dumbbells are both effective and compact.
The dumbbells are set in 2.5 pound (1.2- kilogram) increments with a simple turn of a dial.
These dumbbells only weigh 52.5 pounds and may be too light for more advanced lifters.
We tested the Bowflex SelectTech 552 dumbbells. Read our full review here.
Best versatile dumbbells
CAP Barbell 52.5-Pound Adjustable Dumbbell
- Price: $
- Pros: available as a single or a set, easy-grip solid steel handles, compact design
- Cons: size issues; complaints of missing hardware, handles, and weights
The CAP Barbell is available in a single weight or set and has a dumbbell handle, weight plates, and 2 star-lock collars.
The handle is easy to grip and it is ideal for small spaces.
Emily Jacques, a NASM-certified CycleBar and Rumble instructor for Xponential+, recommends these weights, explaining, “These cast-iron plates have solid steel handles and are most similar to the dumbbells you’re going to find in a gym. You can always buy more weights at a later date as you gain strength.”
Rogue Rubber Coated Kettlebells
- Price: $–$$
- Pros: durable, color-coded, rubber-coated cast iron
- Cons: expensive shipping cost, not heavy enough for some
Another essential piece of home gym equipment is a kettlebell.
While kettlebells can be used for many of the same exercises as dumbbells, they also allow for more dynamic moves, including snatches, cleans, and kettlebell swings.
The rubber-coated kettlebells from Rogue Fitness are among the best, as they are made of single-piece cast-iron for ultimate durability.
The textured handles of these kettlebells make them easy to grip. They are color-coded to help you identify your weight.
The kettlebells are available in 5 weight levels.
Best adjustable kettlebell
Stamina Adjustable Kettle Versa-Bell
- Price: $
- Pros: easy weight adjustments, easy-grip cast iron handle, excellent customer service
- Cons: bulky, weights may clang or rattle, too bulky for some, not heavy enough for some
Taking the place of 6 weights, this 36-pound (16.3-kg) adjustable kettlebell features a patented pin adjustment system for quick, simple weight changes.
The durable design has a cast-iron handle and five steel weight plates inside the shell. The kettlebell is sturdy enough to support pushups and takes up minimal space in your workout area.
Jacques thinks the Stamina Kettle is the best kettlebell. The design is very easy to change and adjust. A cast-iron handle is comfortable and easy to grip, which is important for me. It comes with a base pad to protect the floor.
Rogue Fitness Ohio Bar
- Price: $$
- Pros: fantastic value, exclusive Rogue knurl pattern, lifetime warranty
- Cons: rust issues, slippery for sweaty hands, coating may scratch or come off
Backed by a lifetime guarantee against bending, the Ohio Bar from Rogue Fitness is available in four finishes.
The United States makes the steel bar, and it has high quality brushed bronze and knurling that work as bearing surfaces between the bar sleeve and shaft.
The Ohio Bar is strong enough to support heavy weight loads and is a great value.
Customers appreciate the excellent customer service of Rogue Fitness.
Best weight plates
Rogue Fitness Echo Bumper Plates V2
- Price: $–$$
- Pros: durable design, thin plates, rubber coating to protect floors and reduce bounce
- Cons: paint wears off, might bend or scratch easily
Bumper plates are a great addition to any home gym, as they help minimize noise, reduce bounce, and protect your floors during strength training moves like deadlifts.
The Ohio Bar and the Echo Bumper Plates V2 are from the same gym. The plates are made from high quality rubber and use a durable design.
The thin width of the plates makes it easy to maximize weight loads. The plates are easy to grip and move on and off the bar, as several people have mentioned.
The sets range from 160–260 pounds (72.5–118 kilo) and are available in pairs from 10–45 pounds.
Best all-in-one home gym
Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym
- Price: $$$
- Pros: sturdy construction, easy assembly, no cable changes between sets
- Cons: expensive, not enough resistance for advanced weightlifters
The PR3000 Home Gym is a popular piece of home workout equipment.
It has a cable pulley system, padded seat, and leg press, which makes it possible to perform more than 50 exercises on a single machine.
It is a solid piece of equipment and is highly rated for being reliable and solid.
It’s worth noting that the machine offers up to 210 pounds (95.5 kg) of resistance, which is more than enough for beginner and intermediate lifters. The resistance can be upgraded to 310 pounds (140.6 kg).
However, more advanced weightlifters will want to consider the Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE Home Gym, which can be upgraded to provide 410 pounds (186 kg) of resistance.
Best power rack
PRx Performance Profile Squat Rack with Kipping Bar
- Price: $$$
- Pros: foldable design, requires minimal space
- Cons: unsuitable for low ceilings
If you like to lift heavy, you should consider this power rack.
Unlike many other options on the market, the rack gets bolted to your wall and folds up when not in use, so it’s ideal if you’re tight on space.
In addition to a squat rack, this piece of equipment includes the choice of a traditional, kipping, or multigrip pullup bar.
It has a weight capacity of up to 1,000 pounds and comes with two cups for protecting your barbell.
You will need to buy the barbell and weight plates separately.
Best The mirror is used for a workout.
- Price: $$$$
- Pros: form feedback, in-depth performance tracking, large touch-screen display
- Cons: expensive, requires monthly subscription, needs more modification options
The Tempo Studio is a high quality workout mirror equipped with Bluetooth-enabled speakers, a 42-inch (107-cm) touch screen, and sensors that track your movements, offer weight-load guidance, and provide form feedback.
Healthline editor Mellanie Perez highly recommends the Studio, as she finds the personalized live form feedback feature to be an invaluable addition to her strength training regimen. She also finds the live and on-demand classes effective and motivating.
The mirror is available in three different packages that include accessories.
You will need to subscribe to the app for $39 per month to get unlimited profiles and access to live and on-demand classes.
Best The machine is used to row
- Price: $$$$
- Pros: excellent quality, large touch-screen display, Live Outdoor Reality workouts
- Cons: pricey, requires monthly subscription, possible delivery issues
Rowing machines offer a low impact way to get your heart pumping while toning your whole body.
The Hydrow Rower is built using aluminum and steel and is a great way to practice rowing outdoors. It also includes an audible screen, an audible speaker, and an audible footbal.
“Unlike other smart rowers, all of Hydrow’s rowing classes are filmed on the water and led by rowing experts.”
The $38 monthly subscription fee allows you to access thousands of on-demand workouts. The platform connects you to a leaderboard if you feel competitive, and also offers two live classes per day.
Healthline Fitness senior editor Saralyn Ward is a fan of the Hydrow, saying that the machine got her into indoor rowing.
Best home exercise bike
- Price: $$$
- Pros: dual-sided pedals, heart rate monitor, silent ride
- Cons: short labor warranty, crank axle clicks, complaints of pedals installed backward
If you enjoy indoor cycling classes, you just might love the Schwinn IC4 indoor cycling bike.
The bike has a device holder that allows you to stream workouts from popular apps, and it has a built-in microphone that allows you to speak into it.
The bike has an LCD console for monitoring performance metrics, including calories burned, time, distance, and magnetic resistance.
You can use either the SPD clips or your regular athletic shoes with its dual-sided pedals.
Finally, at less than $1,000, it’s a more affordable option than many other home exercise bikes on the market.
Best smart bike
NordicTrack New S22i Studio Cycle
- Price: $$$
- Pros: dual-sided pedals, large touch-screen display, -10% decline to 20% incline
- Cons: bike wobbles, monthly subscription cost, iFit crashes often
The NordicTrack New S22i Studio Cycle offers 24 resistance levels and is equipped with a 22-inch (56-cm) rotating touch screen that connects you to live and on-demand classes.
The bike has speakers, a set of 3-pound dumbbells, and front-mounted transport wheels.
The multi-grip handlebars can be adjusted vertically and horizontally to ensure proper form.
The bike has hybrid pedals.
Purchase of the New S22i Studio Cycle includes a 30-day iFit family membership for 5 users. After the trial period, the subscription costs $39 per month.
Best recumbent bike
Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
- Price: $$
- Pros: sturdy construction, smooth pedaling, 25 resistance levels
- Cons: dim display, inaccurate heart rate monitor
Recline in comfort on the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike, which has a ventilated, padded seat with a supportive backrest.
The sturdy bike has a weighted flywheel that makes it easy to ride and it has 25 levels of resistance.
The Schwinn 270 has built-in speakers that can be used to listen to a podcasts or a song.
Best high end A treadmill.
NordicTrack New Commercial 2450 Treadmill
- Price: $$$$
- Pros: large touch-screen display, automatic trainer control, -3% decline to 15% incline
- Cons: monthly subscription cost, heavy to move
If you’re looking for a sturdy and reliable treadmill that can accommodate casual and competitive runners alike, look no further than the NordicTrack 2450.
The A treadmill.has a 15% incline, a 3% decline, and speeds up to 19 km per hour.
It also features NordicTrack’s Runners Flex cushioning, which is designed to reduce the impact on your joints.
The Commercial 2450 has a large touch screen for streaming live and on-demand workouts from around the globe using the iFit app.
Virtual runs through scenic landscapes, including locations in England, Ireland, and Iceland, will make your indoor run more enjoyable.
The A treadmill.has a free 30-day family ifit membership that can be renewed for $39 per month.
Best basic A treadmill.
Sole F80 Treadmill
- Price: $$$$
- Pros: foldable design, durable, sturdy
- Cons: no touch screen, no on-demand classes
If you’re looking for a no-frills, basic A treadmill.that’s sturdy enough to withstand running speeds, the Sole F80 is a great option.
The model runs smoothly and the belts may help reduce the impact on your knees. If you have less space, the foldable design is great for easy storage.
The F80 A treadmill.has 15 incline levels, and you can easily adjust the speed using the handgrips or sidebar controls. It supports weights up to 377 pounds (171 kilograms) and has a maximum speed of 19 miles per hour.
The A treadmill.has 10 workouts that it can connect to the Sole Fitness mobile app for. It has a device holder, a device port, and a pair of speakers, which allow you to play music on your phone or tablets.
Best elliptical machine
NordicTrack Commercial 14.9
- Price: $$$
- Pros: large touch-screen display, 26 resistance levels, Automatic Trainer Control
- Cons: monthly subscription cost for iFit, large size
The NordicTrack Commercial 14.9 elliptical is one of the best options on the market, offering up to 20% incline and 26 levels of resistance.
The auto-adjustment feature changes your incline and resistance levels so you can focus on your workout.
The machine has a 14-inch HD touch screen, large pedals, and comfortable hand grips.
You can get a free 30-day iFit family membership with the Commercial 14.9, which is $39 per month.
Best The rope is jump rope.
XYLsports Jump Rope
- Price: $
- Pros: inexpensive, adjustable, sturdy
- Cons: tangles, too light for some
The XYLsports Jump Rope has an extra-long length that is suitable for most people, including children.
The lightweight rope is sturdy enough to be used in heavy use, but some users say it is too light.
Xylsports has a lifetime warranty and money back guarantee on this The rope is jump rope..
Best medicine ball
Champion Sports Medicine Ball
- Price: $
- Pros: durable, versatile, well-made
- Cons: slippery, weight may not be evenly distributed throughout the ball
The Champion Sports medicine ballis made of synthetic leather and can be weighed in a variety of weights. The ball is made of sturdy material and designed to hold up under the force of dynamic exercises.
The ball is too slippery to grip, so you may need to wear gloves. The ball is not balanced and loses its shape, as a few people complain.
Best core sliders
Synergee Core Sliders
- Price: $
- Pros: portable, double-sided, range of uses
- Cons: too small for some, may not work on all surfaces
Synergee Core Sliders are used for many core movements. You can use them to modify your existing routine for a new one.
The lightweight, compact sliders are easy to store or toss.
The double-sided sliders can be used on a variety of surfaces. The foam side works on smooth floors, while the plastic side works on soft surfaces.
“Some customers say that the sliders don’t work well on rugs, gym flooring, or workout mats.”
A home gym is convenient since you can do a quick workout when you are short on time. Your setup may be limited and you may have more things to do.
Gym memberships give you access to all the equipment and classes. You can work with a personal trainer.
Some people enjoy the feeling of connection that a gym membership provides and may feel less motivated to exercise on their own. According to a 2020 study, feeling connected to others is linked to persistence, self-esteem, and physical and psychological health (
Which gym equipment is best for home?
The best home gym equipment will be dependent on your needs and budget.
The following home gym equipment items are worth owning.
- Free weights.
- The weight bench is large.
- A treadmill.
- The bike is an exercise bike.
- The machine is used to row
- elliptical trainer
- The mirror is used for a workout.
What basic gym equipment do I need at home?
You can do a range of workouts even with minimal equipment.
The best home gym equipment.
- The set has dumbbell pieces.
- Resistance bands.
- The rope is jump rope.
- The mat is used for exercise.
- The core sliders are missing.
- medicine ball
What is the most effective piece of home gym equipment?
The type of exercise you like, the space you have available, and your goals will all affect the effectiveness of the home gym equipment.
For example, a cardio machine like a A treadmill.or The bike is an exercise bike.can allow you to do high intensity workouts and target several muscle groups without taking up much space.
The Bowflex PR 3000 is an all-in-one home gym that will allow you to perform a wide variety of exercises that work your whole body. These machines are more expensive than others.
Is buying home gym equipment worth it?
If you plan to train consistently and use equipment, you may want to consider investing in gym equipment. If you have several people use your home gym setup, you may get more value.
“You will save time and money if you don’t have to pay for a membership or commute to the gym.”
Can you build muscle using a home gym?
You can do a variety of home gym workouts to build strength and gain muscle.
Thousands of products are available to turn your home gym dreams into a reality.
When buying, be sure to consider your budget, space and fitness needs. The quality andVersatility of the products are important factors.
We are confident that you will find the home gym equipment that is right for your space by using the list above.