5 Best At-Home PCOS Test Kits of 2022
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best overall: LetsGetChecked PCOS Test
- Best for comprehensive testing: Everlywell Women’s Health Test
- Best for health insights: Thorne Fertility Test
- Best for doctor’s consultation: myLAB Box Women’s Health and Fertility Test
- Best for customized testing: Modern Fertility Hormone Test
reproductive health is important to overall health if you are not considering having children. Your STD status, hormones, and contraceptive use all affect your health.
If you have ovaries, it’s particularly important to be aware of conditions that can affect you, like polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), so you can advocate for your own health.
According to the Office on Women’s Health, PCOS is an issue that affects
If you are experiencing symptoms of the disease, you may want to consider at- home testing. You can assess your hormones without going to a doctor or clinic.
Continue reading to learn about the best options for testing for polycystic ovarian syndrome.
There is no such thing as a PCOS test since no single test can diagnose the disease. It is not like testing for HIV, where a negative or positive test shows your status.
A series of blood tests measure hormones. They will check for male hormones.
If you visit a doctor in person, they can perform a number of tests on you, including a cholesterol, blood, and triglyceride test.
An at- home test for polycystic ovarian syndrome may prompt you to seek further medical advice. Your doctor would use a combination of your test results, physical examination, and medical history to diagnose you.
When doctors diagnose PCOS, they look for three characteristics, according to the
- There was no ovulation.
- There are cysts on the uterus.
- Sex hormones or androgens have high levels.
Research from 2016 suggests your doctor will ask about your medical history and menstrual cycle to diagnose PCOS.
They will use a variety of methods to look at your reproductive system. These sacs contain eggs. There will be at least 12 in someone with the disease.
If you have one or all of the above symptoms, your doctor may diagnose you with polycystic ovarian syndrome.
“It is important to understand what an at- home test can and cannot do. It can give you information about your hormones, but it can’t tell you if you have polycystic ovarian syndrome.”
The at- home testing market is growing and there are many tests available. We considered the following when selecting the best.
- Ease of use. All of these options require a blood-prick sample and provide the proper equipment to do so. Some tests may require additional samples, like urine or saliva.
- Convenience. Most at-home tests come with prepaid return labels, provide easy access to digital results, and allow you to virtually meet with healthcare professionals should your tests indicate high hormone levels.
- Speed of results. Test results will vary by company, but it’s something we took into account when making our list.
- Price point. At-home testing kits tend to be on the pricier side. However, we still included tests at a wide variety of prices to best fit your budget. Additionally, some options accept flexible spending account (FSA) and health savings account (HSA) cards.
- Medical support. It’s important to have healthcare professionals in your back pocket if you need to discuss your results further. Many of these at-home tests allow you to virtually meet with a doctor or nurse practitioner after receiving your results.
- Reviews. All of the testing kits on our list have high reviews from customers.
Wherever possible, we also looked for companies that process test samples in
- $ = under $150
- $$ = $150–$200
- $$$ = over $200
LetsGetChecked PCOS Test
One of the only specific tests on the market is provided by LetsGetChecked. It is rated best overall due to its good reviews, accessible price, and number of hormones tested.
The test looks at levels.
- testosterone levels
- Sex hormonesbinding globulin is a sex hormonesbinding globulin.
- The hormone follicle-stimulating hormone stimulates the hair on the head.
- The hormone is called luteinizing hormone.
- The cortisol is a steroid.
- The androgen index is free.
If possible, collect your saliva and finger-prick blood sample on days 3, 4, or 5 of your menstrual cycle. If your period is not frequent, you can take the test on a weekday. You can mail your samples to the laboratory on the same day after collecting them.
Your results are available on the secure online dashboard within 2 to 5 days. A dedicated team of nurses is available to talk to you through your results and discuss the next steps.
- Multiple hormones associated with the condition.
- A qualified nursing team is available to help.
- accepts both cards.
- rapid, secure results
- unavailable in New York…
Best for comprehensive testing
Everlywell Women’s Health Test
The Everlywell Women’s Health Test is the most comprehensive in our lineup, as it tests for 11 biomarkers. Of these biomarkers, 10 are hormones and 1 is an antibody. The test analyzes estradiol, The person is named LH., FSH., dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), thyroid-stimulating hormone (The number is TSH.), free T3, T4 is free., free testosterone levels, and thyroid peroxidase antibodies.
The test is not marketed for the condition. It measures key female hormones, which are associated with the condition.
Everlywell has great reviews, and the test is reasonably priced considering how many hormones it tests for. Also, Everlywell works with laboratories that hold
Testing is easy. Register the kit online after you place your order. You will need to collect a finger-prick blood sample and saliva sample and send them to the lab for analysis. Within a few days, your physician-reviewed digital results are delivered to the secure platform.
- 10 hormones are analyzed.
- The labs are certified by the CLIA.
- You can learn about your results in a live event.
- Your information is protected.
- unavailable in New York…
Best for health insights
Thorne Fertility Test
Thorne gives you detailed insights into your health. They will identify potential health risks and areas for improvement based on your results and tailor a personalized health plan for you.
Although it’s not aimed specifically at PCOS, this at-home test helps you learn more about key hormones, including testosterone levels estradiol, FSH., The person is named LH., and SHBG. It’s also a great option if you’re concerned about your overall fertility.
You need to provide a finger-prick blood sample and saliva sample to use the test kit. You will need to return your samples in the envelope. You will have to wait for around 8 to 10 business days to receive the results, which is a little longer than other tests.
- Comes with health insights.
- Doctors look at your results.
- Evaluates reproductive, adrenal, and thyroid hormones.
- high price point
- Slow results.
Best for doctor’s consultation
myLAB Box Women’s Health and Fertility Test
The myLAB Box Women’s Health and Fertility Test measures 10 hormones, including testosterone levels, The number is TSH., The person is named LH., FSH., and DHEA. Plus, it includes a free telemedicine consultation with a doctor to discuss your results if they’re out of range. So, it’s a great option for anyone who appreciates the reassurance of qualified medical support.
The test is pain-free but you will need a finger-prick blood and saliva sample. You can mail your samples to us and we will get your results online in 2 to 5 days.
You’re assured of accurate testing, as the company The labs are certified by the CLIA. and is listed with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- There are tests for hormones.
- There is a free doctor consultation.
- Fast results.
- registered with the CDC
- unavailable in New York…
Best for customized testing
Modern Fertility Hormone Test
If you are currently on birth control, Modern Fertility is a great option. The test is tailored to the hormones that may be triggered by birth control. You can either take it home or have your local lab take the sample.
The company claims that they can offer the same hormone tests for a fraction of the price. The kit tests a lot of hormones.
- The anti-Mullerian hormone is used to fightMullerian hormones.
- The number is TSH.
- T4 is free.
- prolactin is a drug.
- The person is named LH.
However, it does not analyze your testosterone levels level.
You will receive your fertility profile in a few days after you send in your finger-prick blood test. You will learn about your ovarian reserve as well. This will tell you if you have more or fewer eggs than average.
The test will show you if you should discuss the possibility of PCOS with your doctor.
- A fertility nurse will give you a free one-on-one call.
- Fast results.
- Information on fertility and egg reserve is provided.
- Does not look at testosterone levels. levels
|LetsGetChecked||Everlywell||Thorne||myLAB Box||Modern Fertility|
|Sample||finger-prick blood sample and saliva||finger-prick blood sample and saliva||finger-prick blood sample and saliva||finger-prick blood sample and saliva||finger-prick blood sample|
|Turnaround||2–5 days||a few days||8–10 days||2–5 days||a few days|
|Hormones checked||testosterone levels, SHBG, FAI, FSH., The person is named LH., The cortisol is a steroid.||estrogen, progesterone, testosterone levels, FHS, The person is named LH., The number is TSH., free T3, T4 is free., TPOabs, The cortisol is a steroid., DHEA||estrogen, progesterone, testosterone levels, SHBG, FHS, The person is named LH., The number is TSH., free T3, T4 is free., TPOabs, The cortisol is a steroid., DHEA||The cortisol is a steroid., DHEA, estradiol, SH, The person is named LH., progesterone, testosterone levels, The number is TSH.||AMH, The number is TSH., FSH., estradiol, T4 is free., prolactin is a drug., The person is named LH.|
“The results of your blood sample will be compiled by the laboratory. The report details the hormones tested for by the lab. A reference range is a set of values that show what a healthy person’s levels are.”
However, blood test results for PCOS can be tricky to interpret. For example,
It is still important to get a full check-up even if you take at- home tests. Your doctor can use a combination of blood tests, a Pelvic exam, and an Ultrasonic to make a diagnosis at your appointment.
It is a matter of choosing the most suitable kit if you decide to use at- home testing. The following factors may affect your decision.
- Price point. Try to pick a test that’s in your price range.
- Hormones measured. What hormones do you want to include — The person is named LH., FSH., or others too? Do you want an overall picture of your fertility?
- Results. Do you need answers within a few days, or are you comfortable waiting up to 10 days?
- Support. Is being able to chat with a nurse or doctor about your results important?
You can choose a home PCOS testing kit based on these factors and read reviews.
According to MedlinePlus, PCOS affects fertility and puts you at an increased risk of developing metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a group of conditions that include high blood pressure.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of PCOS, like excess body hair, you should contact a doctor.
Your doctor can recommend treatments depending on your desire to conceive. According to 2016 research, these include:
- Changes to lifestyle can help with weight loss.
- The contraceptives are hormonal.
- Drugs can help with fertility and egg release.
- The medications are used to reduce hair.
- cholesterol-lowering drugs
- There are medications for the condition of There is a problem with the skin.
What are the symptoms of PCOS?
Because PCOS affects hormonal balance, it can have various effects on the body. Symptoms may
- Missed periods or irregular periods.
- Heavy periods.
- excessive hair
- Male pattern of hair loss.
- weight gain
- There is a problem with the skin
- oily hair and skin.
Can PCOS be treated naturally?
PCOS is a complex condition with no known cure. Typically, treatment aims to restore hormone balance and uses hormonal medication. But some natural treatments and lifestyle changes may help the symptoms.
It is best to check with your doctor before trying any alternative treatments, as they can assess the best options for you. They may recommend some things.
- Changes in diet.
- Maintaining a moderate weight.
- Regular exercise.
- Stress management.
- A therapy for pain.
- herbal supplements.
What should I do if I test positive for PCOS?
If you get a test kit that says you have a condition like polycystic ovarian syndrome, it is important to visit your doctor for a proper diagnosis.
Testing kits are designed to give you more information that will allow you to take control of your own health.
Your doctor can use various blood and imaging tests along with a medical history to provide an in-depth picture of your health. Then, if they diagnose PCOS, they can recommend suitable treatments to help balance your hormones and help with fertility.
If you have concerns about your menstrual cycle or have any other issues, it is best to speak with your doctor.
“There are at- home testing kits that can provide additional information about your hormones. These tests can help you take control of your health, even though they can’t replace a doctor’s visit.”
Working with your doctor can help you with symptoms of the disease.
Zia Sherrell is a health copywriter and digital health journalist with over a decade of experience covering diverse topics from public health to medical cannabis, nutrition, and biomedical science. Her mission is to empower and educate people by bringing health matters to life with engaging, evidence-based writing.