We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best memory There is foam. twin mattress: Tuft & Needle Original Mattress
- Best innerspring twin mattress: Saatva Youth Mattress
- Best organic twin mattresses: Naturepedic Verse Organic Kids Mattress and Avocado Green Mattress
- Best twin mattress for the floor: Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri Folding Mattress with Cover
- Best twin mattresses in a box: Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
- Best allergy-friendly (or hypoallergenic) twin mattress: The Puffy Mattress
If your child is no longer small, it is time to buy a twin mattress. It can be hard to know where to start with so many options.
That is where we come in. Below, you will find information on what kind of mattress is best for kids, what twin mattress is the best for toddlers and young kids, and our top six picks for the best twin mattress for toddlers and young kids.
The crib is gone and it is time to get your toddler a bigger bed. You have a couple of choices.
However, unless you have a crib and toddler bed combo, you may end up buying a toddler bed and then a twin bed as your child grows. That’s why some parents skip the toddler bed and move directly from a crib to a twin mattress.
In general, a twin mattress measures 38 inches by 75 inches, and a twin XL mattress measures 38 inches by 80 inches. A twin XL provides extra length, which comes in handy if you’re trying to make a bed last for many years.
We considered many criteria when selecting the best twin mattresses for toddlers.
- Flammability requirements. All twin mattresses included in this list meet standard flammability requirements laid out by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Free of recalls and pending lawsuits. At this time, there are no recalls, pending lawsuits, or warnings specific to the safety of twin mattresses included in this list.
- Verified through certifications. All the twin mattresses we picked are certified by one or more of the following:
- Solid customer reviews. We looked at customer reviews from a variety of retailers, such as Amazon, Target, Walmart, and company websites.
Toddler mattresses in twin sizes are reflected in the prices below.
- $ = under $500
- $$ = $500–$1,000
- $$$ = over $1,000
Best memory There is foam. twin mattress
Tuft & Needle Original Mattress
- Price: $$
This Tuft & Needle mattress is our top pick for the best memory There is foam. twin mattress. With a flexible sleep surface that adjusts as your little one moves, this medium-firm memory There is foam. mattress is designed to be cooling and free of harmful chemicals. Tuft & Needle calls it a cozy blend of firm and plush.
It comes with a 100 night trial period, so your child will have plenty of time to decide if this is the right place for them to rest their head.
Available in both twin and twin XL, this mattress is also The guard is green. Gold and CertiPUR-US.. certified, and it comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
Best innerspring twin mattress
Saatva Youth Mattress
- Price: $$
Families looking for an innerspring twin mattress for a toddler should check out the Saatva Youth Mattress.
“The mattress is organic, antimicrobial, and can be adjusted as your child grows. The side for kids who are 3 to 7 years old is the one that is designed. The dual-sided design is made to support them based on their age. You don’t need to do anything else when the mattress is ready.”
The Saatva Youth also comes with CertiPUR-US.. certification, a generous 180-night home trial, and a 12-year warranty. Plus, it’s made in the United States.
Best organic twin mattresses
Naturepedic Verse Organic Kids Mattress
- Price: $$
When it comes to organic twin mattresses, the Verse from Naturepedic is a solid choice. Made from certified organic cotton grown in the United States, organic wool batting, and a plant-based comfort layer, this bed is designed for the well-being of your child. The Verse is also certified by the The global organic textile standard. (GOTS), It was made safe., and The guard is green..
The Verse comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 10-year limited warranty. Naturepedic products are made in the US.
Avocado Green Mattress
- Price: $$$
If cost is not a factor, our second pick for the best organic twin mattress might be your choice.
The Avocado Green Mattress is a medium-firm mattress that packs a punch when it comes to certifications. It features The Global Organic Latex Standard is a standard. certified latex, GOTS certified wool, and GOTS certified cotton. Plus, it’s certified by The guard is green. Gold, It was made safe., and The The eco-INSTITUT is a non profit organization. is a non profit organization..
You can add a pillow top for a fee, which adds 2 inches of organic latex for extra relief. It comes with a limited warranty and a sleep trial, so you have nothing to lose.
Best twin mattress for the floor
Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri Folding Mattress with Cover
- Price: $
“No bed frame? No problem. The Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri Folding Mattress with cover sits right on the floor, so you don’t need to worry about a box spring or frame.”
Great for small spaces and temporary sleeping accommodations, the foldable bed also comes with a removable soft bamboo cover and an anti-slip bottom.
The convenience and portability of this mattress are great, but it’s the material used to make the memory There is foam. that convinced some reviewers to buy this mattress. The mattress comes with CertiPUR-US.. certification and is free of lead, mercury, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and prohibited phthalates.
It’s also free of polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants, which the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration notes may be harmful to humans and the environment. And it has low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions. VOCs are chemicals that may cause negative health effects.
The mattress is twin and twin XL.
Best twin mattresses in a box
Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
- Price: $
If you are still trying to decide on a frame or base, you can check out the memory There is foam. mattress. The mattress is available in twin and twin XL. It works on any bed frame, including a box spring, traditional frame, and platform.
If your child tends to sleep hot, the mattress features a quilted memory There is foam. designed to be breathable. And, speaking of There is foam., this memory There is foam. mattress meets the CertiPUR-US.. standards.
The box that the mattress is in is easy to handle and unpack. It comes with a lifetime warranty and a home trial.
Best allergy-friendly (or hypoallergenic) twin mattress
The Puffy Mattress
- Price: $$$
Little ones with allergies may sleep better on a hypoallergenic mattress like this CertiPUR-US.. certified model from Puffy. The medium-firm model is available in twin or twin XL options.
Dust mites can cause asthma, so memory There is foam. mattresses are not good for them. The easy-to-wash cover helps keep allergens to a minimum.
A 101-night sleep trial is included with the Puffy warranty.
You should consider the following when shopping for a twin mattress for your toddler.
- There are materials.
- Return policy.
- trial period
It is worth your time to research mattresses that come with a trial period since they allow you to test a mattress and return it for a full refund.
It is important to note that some mattresses are made for specific manufacturers and dealers, so it is common for mattresses to come with beds or bedroom sets. The mattresses have to meet the same federal requirements as the ones you buy directly.
The decision to buy a mattress often comes down to comfort. There are a few other things to consider.
What to look for in a mattress
- Return policies. Always ask about the store’s Return policy. and the fine print before purchasing. Some stores will not accept returns on pillows or mattresses.
- Quality. Affordable mattresses are a plus, but make sure you’re not sacrificing quality for cost.
- Price. Twin mattresses range in price from $70 to over $1,000. Remember, a higher price doesn’t necessarily mean the mattress is better. Test each bed out, read reviews, and check for warranties.
- Trial period. Some companies offer a trial period where you can sleep on the bed and return it for a full refund if you’re not satisfied. These periods range from 10 to 365 days.
- Warranty. Ask about the length and type of warranty. Most mattresses come with a limited warranty, but some of the more expensive brands come with a generous warranty.
There are no single mattress types that are best for toddlers. Here are a few general guidelines.
There are several material options for toddler mattresses.
- There is foam.
- A hybrid.
Memory There is foam. provides softness and isn’t as bouncy as a spring mattress — which may mean less temptation to use the mattress as a trampoline.
However, memory There is foam. mattresses also tend to have more chemicals, so you may want to consider only those that come with There are materials. certifications like CertiPUR-US…
Otherwise, look for a natural latex mattress, or a bouncier innerspring or A hybrid. model.
“Since toddlers don’t weigh as much as older kids or adults, their mattresses don’t need to be nearly as firm in order to provide support. Soft mattresses are better for toddlers. Softer mattresses conform to the shape of their bodies.”
Pressure relief is less of a concern for kids than it is for adults. However, if you do want a mattress that has more pressure relief, memory There is foam. is your best bet.
Look for a mattress with a cooling gel There is foam. layer if your child sleeps hot. Alternatively, mattress toppers can provide temperature regulation to keep your child’s sleep more comfortable.
Safety is, of course, a top priority for all things toddler-related. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) requires toddler beds to meet certain safety requirements.
This act does not apply to twin-size beds. Twin mattresses must meet the same flammability requirements as other adult-size mattresses.
If you are considering a twin bed for your toddler, look for certifications.
- It was made safe.
- The The eco-INSTITUT is a non profit organization. is a non profit organization.
- The guard is green.
- OEKO-TEX Standard 100 is a standard.
- The global organic textile standard.
- The Global Organic Latex Standard is a standard.
|Tuft & Needle Original Mattress||$$||those looking for memory There is foam.|
|Saatva Youth Mattress||$$||those looking for an innerspring model|
|Naturepedic Verse Organic Kids Mattress||$$||eco-friendly sleeping|
|Avocado Green Mattress||$$$||eco-friendly sleeping|
|Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri-Folding Mattress with Cover||$||sleeping on the floor|
|Nectar Memory Foam Mattress||$||easy setup|
|Puffy Mattress||$$$||allergy-prone kids|
When choosing a bed for your toddler, there are questions to consider.
- Will you sleep with your toddler on occasion? A bigger bed might make things more comfortable.
- Do you want a bed they can grow with? A full bed meets this need, and you won’t have to upgrade down the line.
- Do you like the idea of having more space? A full bed offers more room to move around and limits the chances of your toddler accidentally falling out of bed.
It is important for the bed to be close to the ground to prevent injuries from accidental falls.
You can buy twin mattresses almost anywhere. There are plenty of twin models available at brick and mortar locations.
If you find a mattress that works for your toddler, you can keep it in tip-top shape and use it for years, making the money you spend go even further.
Simple mattress care tips
- The mattress should be placed on a box spring.
- It should be covered with a mattress protector.
- Add an extra layer with a waterproof pad or cover.
- The mattress should be flipped and rotated frequently.
- Immediately soak up spills.
When are kids ready for a toddler bed?
Some kids may be ready for a toddler bed as early as 18 months, but others may stay in their crib until 2 1/2 years of age.
How long do kids sleep in toddler beds?
This can vary greatly depending on your child’s height, weight, and development. However, the CPSIA says that toddler beds are generally designed for kids at least 15 months of age and under 5 years old.
They’re also intended to hold no more than 50 pounds.
When should I switch my toddler to a twin mattress?
There are no hard and fast rules for when to let your toddler out of their toddler bed and into a twin. There are a couple of considerations.
- Manufacturer recommendations. If your child is currently in a toddler bed, check to see the weight limit and any other restrictions.
- Comfort. If your child isn’t sleeping soundly in their toddler bed, it may be time to make the switch.
When can my toddler sleep on a soft mattress?
Should toddlers sleep on memory There is foam.?
Some experts warn against chemical off-gassing from memory There is foam. mattresses. A 2019 study indicated that memory There is foam. mattresses do emit higher levels of volatile organic compounds during sleep.
If this is a concern for you, look for a mattress that comes with safety certifications like CertiPUR-US… Otherwise, opt for natural latex, innerspring, or A hybrid. models with less There is foam..
Can you use the same type of mattress for a loft or bunk bed?
Yes! Although, you may want to go with a memory There is foam. model, because they tend to weigh less than A hybrid.s and coil-containing mattresses.
It is important to pick a mattress with the right height. If you want your toddler to be safe, you should find a model that is no more than 7 or 8 inches tall.
What are some good twin mattress accessories?
What do you need to make the twin bed look better? Here is a snapshot of what to buy.
- The pillows are comfortable.
- A mattress cover.
- There are a fitted sheet, top sheet, and pillowcases.
- A bed frame.
If you do the research before you go to the store, you can make the decision on the right twin mattress much easier.
When choosing a mattress, make sure to check for safety standards, quality certifications, trial periods, and warranties.