We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
“diaper pails are not on the list of things you can’t wait to unbox when you’re creating a baby registry or changing a nursery. As your child grows, you will quickly realize that this is one of the most used nursery items.”
While perhaps not the cutest of nursery accessories, having the right diaper pail can make a big difference in your quality of life — and the air quality of your house! It’s important to invest in the right one, which is why we’re here to help you compare the best diaper pails on the market in 2022.
- Best overall diaper pail: Ubbi Steel Diaper Pail
- Best diaper pail for cloth diapers: Busch Systems Odorless Cloth Diaper Pail
- Best diaper pail for containing odor: Playtex Diaper Genie Complete Diaper Pail
- Best durable diaper pail: Bubula Steel Diaper Pail
- Best diaper pail with storage: Skip Hop Nursery Style Diaper Pail
- Best budget diaper pail: Dekor Plus Hands-Free Diaper Pail
- Best splurge diaper pail: Munchkin Step Diaper Pail
- Best customizable diaper pail: Playtex Diaper Genie Expressions
A diaper pail is not necessary by technical definitions, but it will smell less inviting without one.
Most people want something that will trap the smell of dirty diapers, because it can spread through a space if not contained.
“A diaper pail can mean that you don’t have to take stinky diapers outside to a larger trash can, which is an important time and energy saver for any parent!”
There are a number of things you will want to think through when hunting for a diaper pail.
You need to clear the dirty diapers out every 1-2 days with smaller pails. A pail of diapers might hold a week or more, but the smell of them being collected can be unpleasant.
It is important to consider where you will keep the diaper pail, as the amount of space you have for it will likely affect your decision.
Some diaper pails can use regular trash bags or cloth bag liners, while others need special liners or carbon filters. The cost of special liners can add up over time, so you should think about the types of bags required and their costs.
There are a variety of ways in which a diaper pail can open. You want a diaper pail that is easy to open and has a large opening that you can fit diapers inside. Nobody wants to wipe their hand from their dirty diaper.
Getting a bag full of dirty diapers out of the container is never going to be your favorite chore, so the easier the task, the more bonus points it will earn.
“If you keep your diaper pail on an elevated surface, it can’t fall on your baby, which is a safety risk.”
“You want to make sure that the little hands don’t get trapped in it. It is important to watch out for suffocation risks with any trash bags used in your nursery.”
If you choose a wet diaper pail for cloth diapers, it’s very important to make sure that it’s locked when not in use so little ones don’t have access, since it’s possible to drown in as little of an inch of water.
We picked this list based on the recommendations of parents, as well as the reviews on the best-seller lists.
- $ = $20–$40
- $$ = $41–$60
- $$$ = over $60
Best overall diaper pail
- Price: $$$
- Size: 15 inches x 10.75 inches x 22.48 inches (38.1 centimeters x 27.3 centimeters x 57.1 centimeters)
The Ubbi is an attractive diaper pail, and you can get it in a marble print.
It is made from steel, so it is less likely that odors will be absorbed into the material.
The Ubbi has a child lock on the lid to keep your little one from opening it while you are turned.
“The manufacturer sells diaper bags for the pail, but they are not required, and kitchen trash bags and cloth liners are just fine. The only disadvantage to this pail is that it doesn’t have a foot pedal, so it requires a free hand to open the sliding lid.”
- A child lock is included.
- Can it be used with regular trash bags or a cloth liner?
- It should retain less smell than other materials.
- There are lots of print options.
- Does not include a pedal.
- Not the most budget-friendly option.
Best diaper pail for cloth diapers
- Price: $$$
- Size: 11.38 in. x 11.38 in. x 14.25 in. (28.9 cm. x 28.9 cm. x 36.2 cm.)
The double handle lid on this pail is designed for the extra width of dirty cloth diapers.
Reviewers say it holds up to 2 days of diapers without the smell, thanks to a carbon filter in the lid.
Understanding the environmental consciousness that drives many to consider using cloth diapers, this diaper pail is made from recycled plastic and is recyclable.
Reviewers say the materials themselves may retain the smell of poop after being used for a while.
If you use cloth liners, you might need to wash the inside of your pail more often as they are more prone to leak.
- The opening of the lid is larger for dirty cloth diapers.
- It can be used as a wet or dry diaper pail.
- The diaper pail is made from recycled plastic.
- The materials of the pail can retain more of the smell of a diaper.
- The entire lid must be removed every time.
- Not the most budget friendly diaper pail option.
Best diaper pail for containing odor
- Price: $$
- Size: 9.38 in. x 12.06 in. x 27 in. (23.8 cm. x 30.6 cm. x 68.6 cm.)
The Playtex Diaper Genie is designed to be used for business.
“It makes use of a system that makes it easy to squeeze the diapers through a tight opening, so you won’t have to deal with a strong smell of poop every time you open it.”
The walls of the genie are antimicrobial to preventbacteria from coming in the pail. It has a foot pedal for opening.
The pail uses a carbon filter and requires its own specific bags, which can add up over time, and can definitely add up in price. This may be the answer you have been looking for.
- A foot pedal is included.
- The walls of pails are antimicrobial to reduce smell and germs.
- When new diapers are added, the smell is kept in by the system.
- requires specific bags
- The lid is smaller.
Best durable diaper pail
- Price: $$$
- Size: 11.3 in. x 11.3 in. x 25 in. (28.7 cm. x 28.7 cm. x 63.5 cm.)
“Looking for something that will last? The materials used in the Bubula are steel and aluminum, which will hold up well over time and won’t retain as much of the odor as other materials.”
Users said that customer service was responsive when hinges or a lid needed to be replaced.
The Bubula can be used with normal trash bags and can be turned into a trash can after diaper days have ended.
It is possible to get a version of the Bubula with a foot pedal for a little more money.
- It was made of steel and aluminum.
- works with a trash liner.
- “Users are happy with the company’s customer service.”
- Once the diaper days are over, can be used as a trash can.
- Comes with a high price tag.
- The model with a foot pedal costs more.
Best diaper pail with storage
- Price: $$$
- Size: 8.25 in. x 27.25 in. x 14.5 in. (21 cm. x 69.2 cm. x 36.8 cm.)
If you want to maximize space in your nursery, you might want to consider a diaper pail with a special compartment for storing diaper supplies.
“The Skip Hop Nursery Style Diaper Pail has space to store items, but it is designed to stand against a wall or changing station, so you won’t have wasted floor space.”
An additional bonus? Garbage bags will work inside this pail.
- There is a storage compartment that holds diapering essentials.
- works with garbage bags
- The design is flat against a wall.
- The diaper pail lid has a smaller opening.
- Some users had a hard time getting the lid to open.
Best budget diaper pail
- Price: $$
- Size: 24 in. x 15 in. x 11 in. (61 cm. x 38.1 cm. x 27.9 cm.)
The Dekor Plus is a great option if you want the best features at a reasonable price.
It has a larger entrance that can fit cloth and disposable diapers inside, and a foot pedal for easy one-handed dumping.
There are additional features, including a child lock, odor-blocking trap door, and a quiet lid closure. When your child is done with diapering, it becomes a trash can.
“The pail is a great price for the quality, but it does require you to purchase Dekor brand bags. You shouldn’t have to purchase them very often because the box claims to hold 2,320 diapers.”
- A child lock and foot pedal are included.
- There is a wide entrance for dirty diapers.
- There are several color options.
- When diaper days are over, can be converted to a trash can.
- It requires Dekor brand bags.
- “Users said it didn’t hold as many as they hoped, and that it was used to hold dirty cloth diapers.”
Best splurge diaper pail
- Price: $$$
- Size: 12.44 in. x 11.5 in. x 27.5 in. (31.6 cm. x 29.2 cm. x 69.9 cm.)
The diaper pail is designed to sport a sleek look and comes with a foot pedal to make diaper disposal hands-free.
It also has a childproofing button to keep little hands away from dirty diapers, and a lavender- scented baking soda puck to help eliminate odors.
“The pail is the best splurge because of its higher price point, the need to use the manufacturer’s specific diaper bags and the baking soda pucks.”
If you want to make a purchase that will make you feel good about it, Munchkin will plant a tree for every one you buy, so your money will go toward more than just a diaper pail.
- A childproof lock and foot pedal are included.
- sleek design
- Every tree sold is planted.
- The bags need to be specific.
- Arm & Hammer lavender-scented baking soda pucks will need to be replaced fairly frequently
Best customizable diaper pail
- Price: $
- Size: 11 in. x 22.5 in. x 11 in. (27.9 cm. x 57.2 cm. x 27.9 cm.)
The Playtex Diaper Genie Expressions is a diaper pail that is easy to clean and is great for babies. It has sleeves that can fit around it.
The extra money to pay for the sleeve should be within your budget because the pail is more affordable.
“The push button lid on this pail allows for one-handed dirty diaper drops. They claim to offer seven layers of odor-blocking protection, which can be found in the manufacturer’s specific diaper bags.”
- Push button lid allows for dirty diaper drops.
- One of the more budget-friendly diaper pail options is on our list.
- The pail can be changed to match spaces using different designer sleeves.
- There is no foot pedal option.
- The manufacturer has specific diaper bags.
|Price||Size||Product callouts||Best for|
|Ubbi Steel Diaper Pail||$$$||15 in. x 10.75 in. x 22.48 in. (38.1 cm. x 27.3 cm. x 57.1 cm.)||• includes a child lock
• can use regular trash bags or cloth liners in it
|anyone who likes a sleek look to their diaper pail|
|Busch Systems Odorless Cloth Diaper Pail||$$$||11.38 in. x 11.38 in. x 14.25 in. (28.9 cm. x 28.9 cm. x 36.2 cm.)||• extra-wide opening for the extra width of dirty cloth diapers
• It can be used as a wet or dry diaper pail.
|those planning to use cloth diapers|
|Playtex Diaper Genie Complete Diaper Pail||$$||9.38 in. x 12.06 in. x 27 in. (23.8 cm. x 30.6 cm. x 68.6 cm.)||• includes a foot pedal
• clamping helps to keep smells inside the pail when new dirty diapers are added
|those who don’t want to smell anything when they open the diaper pail lid|
|Bubula Steel Diaper Pail||$$$||11.3 in. x 11.3 in. x 25 in. (28.7 cm. x 28.7 cm. x 63.5 cm.)||• made of aluminum and steel
• works with a traditional trash bag liner
|those who want to make long-term use of their diaper pail|
|Skip Hop Nursery Style Diaper Pail||$$$||8.25 in. x 27.25 in. x 14.5 in. (21 cm. x 69.2 cm. x 36.8 cm.)||• built-in storage area for holding diapering supplies
• uses regular garbage bags
|those who need storage space for diapering accessories|
|Dekor Plus Hands-Free Diaper Pail||$$||24 in. x 15 in. x 11 in. (61 cm. x 38.1 cm. x 27.9 cm.)||• includes a child lock and foot pedal
• can be converted to a trash can after children are done with diapers
|those who want a lot of features without the highest price tag|
|Munchkin Step Diaper Pail||$$$||12.44 in. x 11.5 in. x 27.5 in. (31.6 cm. x 29.2 cm. x 69.9 cm.)||• includes a child lock and foot pedal
• sleek, modern appearance
|those willing to buy replacement parts to keep odors down|
|Playtex Diaper Genie Expressions||$||11 in. x 22.5 in. x 11 in. (27.9 cm. x 57.2 cm. x 27.9 cm.)||• push button lid
• designer sleeves can be used to change the appearance to match different room styles
|those who want a stylish nursery|
How do I stop my diaper pail from smelling?
The dirty diapers should be removed frequently to reduce the smell. It is possible to kill the germs in a diaper pail by spraying it with a Disinfectant like Lysol.
Baking soda, cloves, coffee filters, and a dryer sheet can be placed in the diaper pail to help eliminate the scent. You just need to replace them frequently.
“Keep cleaners away from your child’s reach for safety.”
How do you air out a diaper pail?
You should wash the diaper pail after removing the diaper bag. You can use a product like Lysol.
You will want to give the diaper pail some time to dry. Baking soda can help to eliminate the smell, so you may want to use a mixture of baking soda and water to scrub the diaper pail.
How often should you replace a diaper pail?
Many diaper pails can last for a lifetime and will never need to be replaced.
The manufacturer has instructions on how to ensure that your diaper pail lasts as long as possible. If your diaper pail breaks or cracks, you should replace it.
The words “diaper pail” are not likely to make you excited, even if you\’re looking for baby related items on your baby registry.
But whether you’re committed to cloth or are a Pampers pro, you’ll be going through a ton of diapers with your new little one.
The diaper pail you pick can be a big help in keeping your home smelling clean. Any experienced parent will tell you that is an under appreciated gift.