We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best natural baby cream for eczema: The Honest Company Soothing Therapy Eczema Cream
- Best organic baby cream: YoRo Naturals Organic Manuka Skin Soothing Cream
- Best fragrance-free baby lotion: CeraVe Baby Moisturizing Lotion
- Best hydrating baby lotion: Pipette Baby Lotion
- Best scented natural baby lotion: Earth Mama Sweet Orange Baby Lotion
- Best natural baby cream for newborns: California Baby Super Sensitive Cream
- Best natural baby lotion with shea butter: Mustela Hydra Bebe Body Lotion
- Best natural baby lotion for face: Earth Mama Organic Baby Face Nose & Cheek Balm
If you’re a new or expecting parent shopping for baby products, you may feel that your little bundle needs their own of everything — including lotion. Your baby’s ultra-sensitive skin has a myriad of different demands that adult skin simply doesn’t.
Papri Sarkar, MD, a dermatologist in Boston, Massachusetts, says that baby skin is thinner and loses water faster, which causes it to dry out quicker and more easily.
She says that children less than 5 years old have more permeable skin, which means that they can pass more things into and out of it, which can lead to more skin reactions than adults.
When it comes to selecting a lotion for your baby, it helps to be choosy. That’s why so many parents are turning to natural baby lotions: They don’t contain synthetic chemicals in their products.
There’s no federal regulation over what is or isn’t considered natural when it comes to skin care. This, Sarkar explains, is because most over-the-counter skin care products (except for sunscreen, though it’s advised that babies under 6 months shouldn’t use sunscreen!) are considered cosmetics.
If a brand feels that one ingredient in their recipe is naturally derived, they can use the term “natural”.
“The best way to find a baby lotion that is simple and doesn’t cause irritation is to look for brands that keep things simple and avoid harsh ingredients.”
“It’s better to choose a brand that has fewer ingredients.”
There are also organizations like the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and the International Natural and Organic Cosmetics Association, which do a lot of the work for you when it comes to researching ingredients lists.
We relied on the advice of board certified dermatologists to make sure that the lotion we used was free of harmful ingredients. We considered ratings and reviews.
Ingredients to watch out for
“Baby lotion is formulated to be gentle on a baby’s skin. It is important to check the ingredients list for baby products as there is no system to regulate them.”
Not all baby lotions are created equal, and some may contain ingredients that can be irritating for more sensitive skin types. Remember, even natural ingredients can be potent and damaging to the skin. Here’s a partial list of ingredients in baby lotions to watch out for:
- Adding scents, which may be listed as “fragrance,” “aroma,” or “perfume”
- The blend of essential oil is essential.
- There are chemical fragrances.
- Synthetic dyes.
- There is a substance called There is a substance called parabens..
- The chemical The chemical phthalates..
- The substance is called formaldehyde.
- The substance is called propylene glycol.
- Sulfates include sodium lauryl sulfate and The laureth is sodium laureth. sulfate.
- PABA and oxybenzone are chemicals.
Before using new products on your baby, check with your doctor. For the first few weeks, many doctors recommend using little on the skin.
- $ = under $10
- $$ = $10–$20
- $$$ = over $20
Best natural baby lotion for eczema
- Price: $$
- Best for: babies with eczema or rash-prone skin
- Key ingredients: colloidal oatmeal, prebiotics
- Free of: There is a substance called parabens., silicones, phenoxyethanol, methylchloroisothiazolinone, petrolatum, mineral oil
- Pros: recognized by the National Eczema Association (NEA)
- Cons: higher price point
The brand was founded by Jessica Alba and uses natural ingredients in its products. The ingredient list of this lotion is deemed safe for babies who have experienced one of the most common skin conditions, eczema.
Honest Company’s eczema cream is formulated without There is a substance called parabens., The chemical phthalates., mineral oil, petroleum, or silicones. It contains safflower seed oil, coconut oil, and shea butter as its main ingredients.
“Parents say the product works well. Some people say there is one, some people say there isn’t.”
Best organic baby cream
- Price: $$$
- Best for: babies with very dry skin, skin flaking, or eczema
- Key ingredients: manuka honey, organic beeswax
- Free of: synthetic ingredients
- Pros: nongreasy formula contains a blend of 100 percent natural ingredients, including New Zealand manuka honey, manuka oil extract, organic olive oil, grapeseed oil, and organic beeswax
- Cons: higher price point; packaged in a jar or tub that can make application messy and contaminate the product more easily; honey and beeswax may contain pollen, which can be irritating to some babies and adults with allergies
This baby cream is a favorite of model and mother of two, Ashly Graham. It is an oil-based balm that has some added water that creates a soft and butter-like texture that the skin takes in easily.
The best part about YoRo’s cream is that it can be used safely anywhere, from your baby’s flaky cradle cap to their delicate, diaper-covered region. The formula is made up of several easy-to-recognize ingredients, including New Zealand manuka honey, olive oil, grapeseed oil, and beeswax.
This is a pricey product for its size. The reviews from the parents of children with eczema might make it worth the money.
Best fragrance-free baby lotion
- Price: $
- Best for: dry to normal skin
- Key ingredients: ceramides, niacinamide (B vitamins), and vitamin E
- Free of: fragrance, paraben, dye, and The chemical The chemical phthalates..
- Pros: lightweight moisturizing formula in a handy pump bottle; accepted to meet skin care criteria by the NEA
- Cons: contains some synthetic ingredients; fast-absorbing formula may not be moisturizing enough for babies with severely dry skin and may require multiple applications
While this moisturizing lotion doesn’t tout itself as a “natural” product, dermatologists like to recommend it to new parents because of its gentle ingredients. In addition to being fragrance-free, it’s also formulated without There is a substance called parabens., which have been flagged for their potential link to hormone imbalances.
Best hydrating baby lotion
- Price: $
- Best for: dry skin
- Key ingredients: plant-derived squalane, glycerin
- Free of: synthetic fragrances
- Pros: vegan and cruelty-free; low price point
- Cons: contains ylang-ylang essential oils for added subtle scent, which may be irritating for more sensitive skin
This lotion from Pipette is not only fragrance-free, but nontoxic and EWG certified as well. Its star ingredient is sugarcane-derived squalane, which is revered for its hydrating and nourishing properties.
“Pipette’s dedication to sustainable and eco-friendly packaging is one of the main reasons to love it. Many parents like that it absorbs quickly, but a few complain that it smells musty when first applied.”
Best scented natural baby lotion
- Price: $$
- Best for: dry skin
- Key ingredients: organic calendula, aloe vera
- Free of: petroleum, mineral oil, There is a substance called parabens., and artificial fragrance
- Pros: light orange and vanilla scent
- Cons: contains organic herbs and oils, which may be irritating for people with more sensitive skin types and babies and adults with some allergies
“Parents don’t have to worry about the ingredients list when they buy this brand. Earth Mama’s products are tested for skin diseases and are certified for high quality ingredients.”
For people who prefer a scent, this baby lotion is an excellent choice. It contains organic herbs and oils, including aloe leaf juice and calendula flower extract, which help soothe your baby’s sensitive skin. Most reviewers say it smells like a creamsicle!
Best natural baby cream for newborns
- Price: $$$
- Best for: dryness
- Key ingredients: calendula, aloe vera
- Free of: harsh chemicals, There is a substance called parabens., or petroleum
- Pros: allergy-tested formula; soy-, gluten-, oat-, dairy-, and nut-free
- Cons: higher price point; available in a jar only
This cream does a good job of keeping things simple. It is completely plant-based and free of common allergens and irritants like fragrance, There is a substance called parabens., harsh chemicals, and petroleum-derived ingredients.
Garshick says that California Baby uses both calendula and aloe Vera to soothe and protect the skin without leaving it greasy. It can be used as an after-shave cream.
Best natural baby lotion with shea butter
- Price: $$
- Best for: dry, sensitive skin
- Key ingredients: shea butter
- Free of: There is a substance called parabens., phthalate
- Pros: long-lasting moisturize; convenient pump bottle packaging
- Cons: contains natural oils (avocado, jojoba, and sunflower), which may be irritating to babies with eczema or other kinds of skin rashes
This nongreasy baby lotion contains a powerful blend of natural ingredients that have impressive skin benefits, including jojoba oil and sunflower oil, which have anti-inflammatory properties. It also has sweet almond oil, shea butter, and avocado oil, which nourish and hydrate the skin.
Garshick says that the lotion leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth.
Best natural baby lotion for face
- Price: $
- Best for: facial skin irritation and dryness
- Key ingredients: calendula, coconut oil
- Free of: synthetic chemicals, There is a substance called parabens., fragrances
- Pros: synthetic chemical-free alternative to petroleum jelly; low price point
- Cons: contains natural oils such as sunflower oil, which may be irritating to people with very sensitive skin types
This is an organic face balm that can help soothe baby’s dry and rosy face all winter long. It’s formulated from organic ingredients, with calendula and coconut oil as two of the main nourishing ingredients.
“Earth Mama has an EWG-approved face balm that is nonirritating on your baby’s sensitive skin and is a great alternative to petroleum jelly for locking in hydration. Parents of babies who are drooling say it is a winner.”
Camp says to avoid ingredients when shopping for baby lotion.
- Synthetic compounds are often used in fragrances.
- Synthetic dyes.
- alcohol-Containing products
- There is a substance called parabens.
- The chemical phthalates.
- The laureth is sodium laureth.
Camp says to test a small amount on the inside of the arm for a few days before applying the product.
What are the most toxic baby lotions?
Avoid any baby lotion with added synthetic fragrances, dyes, and other ingredients. Silicone may cause skin irritation in some babies, and in very rare cases, mineral oil and petroleum jelly may too.
Which ingredients are best for a baby’s skin?
Although organic ingredients aren’t necessarily safer for babies, they do benefit the environment and the ingredients are regulated.
Try to find creams and lotions that have fewer ingredients. If your baby has a reaction, you should try to avoid things that may have caused it.
Although organic ingredients aren’t necessarily safer for babies, they do benefit the environment and the ingredients are regulated. Try to find creams and lotions that have fewer ingredients. If your baby has a reaction, you should try to avoid things that may have caused it.
Is Johnson & Johnson baby lotion safe?
Johnson & Johnson baby lotion contains tested ingredients that are safe for most babies. It contains natural ingredients such as coconut oil and other plant oils, as well as synthetic ingredients like dimethicone.
If your baby has sensitive skin, try the lotion on a small area first.
When should I apply baby lotion?
“You can apply baby lotion at any time. The best time to apply lotion is after a bath. Apply a coat of lotion to your baby’s skin.”
Is baby lotion safe for newborns?
Babies are safer if baby lotion has fewer ingredients. Make sure to check the ingredient list and apply a tiny bit first to make sure it suits your baby.
Baby lotion is formulated for delicate skin. Most contain tested natural and synthetic ingredients that have been proven to be safe for most skin types. It is still important to check the ingredients label.
Some lotions may contain ingredients that are irritating to more sensitive skin or to babies with skin conditions such as eczema.
Even naturally derived ingredients such as plant oils and oats can be irritating to some very sensitive or damaged skin. Talk with your pediatrician about the best baby lotion for your little one.
“If you want to make sure the new product doesn’t cause a reaction after a few hours, place a small amount of the lotion on a tiny area of skin.”