Gout is a painful form of arthritis. Flare-ups can target the big toe.
Gout is caused by a buildup of too much uric acid in your body. The excess uric acid causes needle-like crystals to form in joints, causing intense pain, stiffness, and swelling. Joint and skin discomfort can continue anywhere from several days to several weeks.
Gout treatment usually involves medications to reduce inflammation and lower uric acid levels. Changes in lifestyle can help.
The use of aloe Vera as an at- home treatment for gout may be beneficial.
There is not much research on the benefits of the plant for gout. Some people swear by its effectiveness.
Aloe vera has not been definitively shown in studies to be beneficial for gout. However, according to a
- vitamins A, C, and E: antioxidants that reduce inflammation
- bradykinase: an enzyme that relieves inflammation
- C-glucosyl chromone: an anti-inflammatory compound
- anthraquinones, including aloin and emodin: analgesics with antibacterial and antiviral properties
- fatty acids, including cholesterol and lupeol: plant steroids with anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and analgesic properties
- auxins and gibberellins: plant hormones that support wound healing and have anti-inflammatory properties
- salicylic acid: a compound that has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties
- saponins: plant-based compounds that contain cleansing and antiseptic properties
A small 2018 animal study suggested that alcoholic extract of aloe vera, taken internally, may reduce uric acid levels in bodily tissues.
The plant can be grown in a garden or on a windowsill. It is also available in a variety of forms. You can use the drug on the skin.
You can buy it in capsule form or as a juice.
There is no evidence that the consumption of aloe Vera causes gout relief.
There are no guidelines for using the drug for gout. You may want to speak with a doctor before you try this or any other at- home treatment. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should speak with a doctor before using aloevera.
Most people are safe when using the product. Allergic reactions can occur. If you can, use it on a joint that is affected by gout, but only if your skin is calm.
Aloe vera gel
“Follow the manufacturer’s directions for use of manufactured products containing aloe Vera. If the product contains anything that you are allergic to, you should read the ingredients list.”
Aloe vera plant
You can use the gel within the leaves of the plant.
- The thickest leaves will have the most gel.
- Before cutting the leaves, wash them off with water.
- “Don’t use leaves that are discolored or moldy.”
- Use a sterile knife or scissor to cut the leaves off the plant.
- You can get to the gel inside by trimming the prickly edges of the plant.
- The interior gel should be removed with a sterile knife.
- The leaves of the alembic plant look like a liquid. Before you use the gel, let the latex drain out.
- The gel should be spread to the skin. The leftover gel can be refrigerated.
- It is recommended to repeat several times daily.
When combined with proven gout treatments, it may be more beneficial. You and a doctor can come up with a treatment plan that works for you.
A combination of over-the-counter and prescription drugs can be used to treat flareups.
Medications used to treat gout include:
- For symptom relief during flares: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), colchicine, and corticosteroids
- To prevent or reduce gout episodes: prescription drugs like Probenecid (available in pill or infusion form) that lower uric acid levels in the body
At-home treatments, such as the topical use of essential oils for gout, may have benefits.
Herbal treatments, such as those used in Ayurvedic medicine, may be helpful for reducing uric acid levels and for treating gout.
Preventive lifestyle changes
It may not be possible to eliminate gout completely, but lifestyle changes that include dietary modifications can help:
- Maintain a healthy weight to help reduce gout attacks and flares.
- Stay hydrated to support kidney function and reduce dehydration.
- Exercise can be beneficial. Swimming is a low impact exercise that is easy to do on the joints.
- Reduce or eliminate consumption of alcoholic beverages, sugary beverages, and foods high in purines. Purines are chemical compounds that produce uric acid in the body. Foods to avoid include red meat, shellfish, and organ meat.
Surgery for gout is not usually needed. If, however, you’ve had untreated or recurrent gout for years, it may have caused damage to your joints or surrounding tissues. In these instances, a healthcare professional may recommend a procedure like joint replacement surgery.
Flares can happen at night. If you suddenly feel a big toe pain, you should contact a doctor. Medical assistance will help reduce pain.
If you have gout, you should see your doctor for regular checks. Permanent joint damage can be caused by untreated gout.
People with gout may be at risk for other conditions. These include:
You may have questions about gout.
Does not seeing a doctor right away make gout worse?
It is possible to see a doctor right away to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation. It is possible that gout can lead to joint damage and require surgery.
Does aloe vera decrease uric acid?
It might. There is no evidence that the reduction in uric acid is linked to the use of the plant. Some studies point to this possibility but most of them focused on mice. There are no studies on the effects of aloe on gout.
What’s the fastest way to get rid of gout?
gout can be alleviated with medications that prevent or reduce the risk of future flareups. Changes in lifestyle can help.
Does aloe vera reduce joint pain?
Anti-Inflammatory compounds in the plant can reduce joint pain.
The gel-like substance in the plant is called aAloe Vera. The anti-Inflammatory compounds in this gel may be helpful for gout treatment.
The pain and potential problems of gout can be treated with medical treatment. Discuss the treatments with a healthcare professional.