BinaxNOW COVID-19 Test Review: Cost, Accuracy, How It Works
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
The number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise in the United States and the world. To slow down the spread of the virus, the
When it comes to at-home testing, the BinaxNOW COVID-19 test is one of the
“You can use this test to determine if you have symptoms. If you don’t have symptoms, the manufacturers recommend you take the test twice in 3 days.”
Here is what you need to know about the test kit.
The FDA-authorized at- home test kit for detecting COVID-19 in people without symptoms is called the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test.
According to the company, this test kit can screen for many SARS-CoV-2 strains, including the Delta and Omicron variants.
The COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test uses a shallow nose sample to check for the presence or absence of the virus that causes COVID-19.
Here is how it works.
- There are two test kits in your box, each containing a sample, a card, and a bottle.
- The instructions on the kit will help you take your sample.
- Wait at least 15 minutes and not longer than 30 to read your results.
- “If you don’t have any symptoms after your test, you can take another test over the course of 3 days. Wait at least 24 hours, but no longer than 48 hours between tests. You only need to take one test if you have symptoms.”
Healthline senior associate Sydney Hanan tested out the BinaxNOW COVID-19 kit and found it to be similar to other at- home testing kits.
She said that it came with everything she needed to take the two tests. I only needed a time, which was easy to do on my phone, to provide myself.
She noted that she has taken different types of at- home COVID-19 tests and that the process was easy.
She said it takes about 20 minutes to perform the test and 15 to get the results.
According to the
If your results show negative, you may not be able to rely on this test kit. If you are showing COVID-19 symptoms, you might still have COVID-19.
The manufacturers recommend that you retest after 48 hours. It is best to consult your doctor if it still shows negative.
If you see an invalid result, you need to take another test.
The FDA stated that the study was small and that the kit can identify between 73% and 98.9% of positive cases.
Other studies suggest that you can rely on the kit to detect the Omicron and Delta variants, and other variants of concern (VOC).
Before taking your sample
- You should wash and dry your hands.
- Take out one of the test kits. You will find a dropper bottle, a test card, and a sample.
- “If the blue control line is present, take the card from its pouch. Don’t use it if it doesn’t have a blue control line. The card should stay on the table.”
- “The dropper bottle has 6 drops of liquid in it. Don’t let the bottle tip get in the way of your card.”
Taking your sample
- The soft end of the swab should be inserted into the nostril. Press the swab against the wall of your nose and you will get circles.
- For the other nostril, repeat.
Taking the test
- Push the tip of the swab into the lower hole on the card to see it from the top hole.
- The drops can mix with the swab if it is turned to the right three times. The spot should be left with the swab.
- The left side of the card should be closed to cover the swab. The card needs to be sealed.
- “Wait 15 minutes to see your results. Don’t wait more than 30 minutes to check your results, but do it after 15 minutes.”
Interpreting your results
- Look for pink or purple lines in the result window.
- If you find two pink or purple lines, your test result is positive.
- If you find a single pink or purple line, your test result is negative.
- If no line shows up, a blue line appears, a blue and pink or purple line appears, and you have to take another test, your result is invalid.
Abbott Laboratories is an internationally recognized healthcare technology company.
However, Abbott Laboratories is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau and currently has a rating o 1.06 out of 5 stars. In the past year, the company has closed 65 complaints. Most complaints are about products other than the BinaxNOW COVID-19 test, but some note that the company’s customer service is poor.
The test kit is rated 4.7 out of 5 stars from 10,540 global ratings on Amazon. Most of the reviews were positive, noting that the kit was easy to use and worked well for detecting COVID-19.
“Some people were upset with the box’s contents. Some people said that the box only had one kit. The box had broken on arrival, according to one person.”
|Sample type||Time required||Accuracy||Price|
|BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test||nasal swab||15 minutes||84.6% accurate at detecting a positive COVID-19 case; 98.5% accurate at detecting negative cases||$23.99|
|EverlywellCOVID–19TestHomeCollection Kit DTC||nasal swab||24–48 hours||can detect over 95% of positive cases and over 98% of negative tests, according to the company.||$109|
|LetsGetChecked Coronavirus Test (COVID-19)||nasal swab||24–72 hours||as accurate as tests taken in a hospital, according to the company.||$109|
|QuickVue At-Home OTC COVID-19 Test||nasal swab||10 minutes||can identify 83.5% of positive and 99.2% of negative cases||$23.99|
|iHealthCOVID–19AntigenRapidTest||nasal swab||15 minutes||detects 94.3% of positive samples and 98.1% of negative samples||$17.98|
You can get the test at some retailers.
Can someone get a false-positive COVID-19 result with the BinaxNOW COVID-19 antigen test?
According to the
How accurate are rapid COVID-19 tests?
A 2021 study observed that rapid COVID-19 tests detected infection with SARS-CoV-2 in 72% of people with symptoms and 58% without symptoms.
Does insurance cover BinaxNOW test kits?
People with health insurance can get any FDA-authorized at- home test for free or be reimbursed for the test if they have a plan. You can contact your provider if you have any questions.
Who can use this test kit?
People 15 years and older can take the test if they have been vaccine free. If you have no symptoms and your results show negative, you can take another test in 48 hours.
The test can be administered by an adult.
Rapid COVID-19 test kits are quick and cost-effective ways to test for COVID-19. You can get your results in minutes if you take these tests wherever you are.
The COVID-19 test is FDA-authorized and can detect whether you have the virus. Within 30 minutes, your results will be available.
“The test kit is FDA-authorized, but it isn’t 100% accurate and can still reflect false or inconclusive results. You can get a doctor to help you with the test.”
Frances Gatta is a freelance healthcare writer with experience writing on general health, women’s health, healthcare technology, mental health, and personalized nutrition. You can connect with her on Twitter and LinkedIn.