“Newborns make strange noises while they are breathing. Most of them are not cause for concern. Being aware of your baby’s breathing pattern can help you identify any issues early.”
New parents worry about the breathing patterns of their newborn. They can make strange noises and take long pauses between breaths.
Newborns have different breathing and sounds than adults.
- They breathe through their nostrils.
- Their breathing pathways are smaller and easier to obstruct.
- The chest wall is made of mostly shirring material.
- “They still have to learn to use their lungs and breathing muscles, which isn’t fully developed.”
- They may still have amniotic fluid and meconium in their airways right after birth.
Parents and caregivers may worry, but usually there is nothing to worry about.
“One thing you can do is to pay attention to your baby’s breathing pattern. You can learn what they do and if something is different later.”
Typically, a newborn takes
Newborns can take rapid breaths and then stop for up to 10 seconds at a time. New parents might be alarmed because of the different breathing patterns.
Most of the newborn breathing problems resolve themselves within a few months.
Some newborn breathing concerns are
“It is important that you are familiar with your baby’s breathing patterns. If something sounds different, explain it to your doctor.”
Common sounds you might hear are listed.
This could be a problem in the nostrils that will be fixed by removing it. Ask your doctor how to remove mucus.
Hoarse cry and barking cough
This noise may be from a windpipe blockage. It might be mucus or inflammation in the voice box, such as croup. It can be a sign of croup, in which case it may get worse at night.
This is a problem with the large bronchi. The large bronchi carry air between the windpipe and lungs. A doctor will need to listen to a stethoscope to confirm the diagnosis.
Wheezing can be a sign of blockage or narrowing of the lower airways. The blockage might be caused by:
This can mean there’s fluid in the airways from an infection, such as Pneumonia.. Fast breathing can also be caused by fever or other infections and should be evaluated right away.
A sudden, low-pitched noise on an exhale usually signals an issue with one or both lungs. It can also be a sign of severe infection. You should visit a doctor immediately if your baby is ill and is grunting while breathing.
Sneezing is common in newborns and is not usually cause for concern.
Newborns have smaller noses than adults and are still adjusting to breathing through their noses as they grow.
Frequent sneezing can also be a sign of an allergy to certain types of formula as well as neonatal abstinence syndrome. Per 2020 research,
Periodic breathing is common in newborns. It is characterized by pauses in breathing that lasts at least
This is typical and doesn’t usually require any treatment. However, if pauses in breathing last more than
False “first cold”
Many newborns experience symptoms of a false first cold very early because their nose is small and can become easily blocked.
If your baby is also having other cold symptoms like weakness, fatigue, and difficulty sleeping, it is best to talk with a doctor to determine if they have a cold or other illness.
Hiccups are common and can happen in babies, children, and adults.
Babies can have hiccups if they eat too quickly and swallow air while feeding.
Hiccups may also be a symptom of gastroesophageal reflux, which occurs when the contents of the stomach flow into the esophagus, causing regurgitation.
“If you are concerned about your baby’s breathing, contact your doctor.”
Irregular breathing can cause anxiety in parents or caregivers. Slow down and look at your baby to see if they are in distress.
“If you are concerned about your baby’s breathing, here are some tips.”
- “You should learn your child’s breathing patterns so you can identify what’s not typical.”
- Take a video of your baby breathing and show it to the doctor. Online appointments and communication by email are now offered by many medical professionals, which will save you time in the office.
- Always have your baby sleep on their back. This decreases your baby’s risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), per
2021 research. If your baby has a respiratory infection and isn’t sleeping well, ask your doctor for safe ways to help clear congestion. It’s not safe to prop them up or put their crib on an incline.
- drugstores sell senna drops that can help loosen mucus.
- Babies can breathe fast when they are overheated or upset. Clothe your baby. You should only add one extra layer to your outfit for the day. If you wear pants and a shirt, your baby might wear pants, a shirt, and a sweater.
Sleep positioners and wedges are not recommended while feeding or sleeping.
These padded risers are intended to keep your baby’s head and body in one position but are not recommended by the
Catching an issue early will give your baby the best chance for recovery in the short term.
“A change in a newborn’s breathing pattern may be a sign of a serious breathing problem. Call your doctor if you are ever worried. Make sure the doctor’s phone numbers are available at all times. A nurse can answer and help direct you.”
A chest X-ray can be used to diagnose breathing concerns.
If your child experiences any of these symptoms, you should call the emergency services.
- There is a blue color in the mouth, fingernails, and toenails.
- doesn’t breathe for
20 secondsor more
If your child is young, you should see your doctor immediately.
- grunting or moaning at the end of the breath
- They are working harder to get oxygen into their lungs because of their nostrils flaring.
- The muscles pull in on the neck, collarbones, or ribs.
- Difficult feeding and breathing issues are what he has.
- Is not very active in addition to breathing issues.
- Has a cold as well as breathing issues.
Babies breathe faster than adults. They make strange noises. Babies may have trouble breathing if there is a serious health concern.
It is important that you can tell if your baby is having trouble breathing. If something seems wrong, get help right away.