The most common symptom of a pinworm is itching. Infections can be prevented with hand washing and other hygiene practices.
A pinworm infection, also known as enterobiasis or oxyuriasis, is one of the most common types of human intestinal worm infections in the United States. Pinworms are white, narrow worms that can range in size from
It is easy to spread pinworm infections. They are most often found in school-aged children and people who live in institutions. They happen in people who have regular, close contact with people in these groups.
Reinfection is possible, but medication can effectively treat pinworm infections. There are very few long-term health effects.
There are some steps to take to prevent pinworm infections.
Eggs are laid on the skin around the anus by pinworms. The female worms have a pin-like tail.
Some people with pinworm infections may not experience any symptoms, but they will experience intense itching around the anus.
Symptoms can include:
- strong, frequent itching of the anal area
- restless sleep due to anal itching and discomfort
- pain, rash, or other skin irritation around the anus
- There are pinworms in your anal area.
- pinworms in your stool
There are many pinworm infections. The cycle of the infections follows these steps.
- An individual acquires an infection by ingesting or inhaling pinworm eggs. These microscopic eggs are usually deposited onto a surface by a person with the infection.
- Eggs are in the gut until they hatch.
- Adult female pinworms move into the colon and exit the body through the anus at night. They lay eggs in the folds of skin around the anus and then return to the colon. These eggs often cause itching and irritation.
When the person with a pinworm infection scratches the affected area, the eggs transfer to the fingers and under the fingernails. The eggs can transfer to anything the person touches and survive on an indoor surface, such as fabric, for
Pinworms can be found on surfaces that are commonly host.
- There is bedding.
- There are towels.
- There is clothing.
- The toilet seats are not flush.
- There are toys.
While uncommon, it is also possible to inhale airborne eggs, according to the
If you scratch an area, you can accidentally eat pinworm eggs. This can lead to a pinworm infection again.
Eggs on the anus hatch and can reenter the large intestine. This can cause the infection to continue indefinitely if not treated.
People in close quarters are more likely to be affected by pinworm infections. This can include some things.
- There are child care centers.
- There are schools.
Children can transfer pinworm eggs easily because they may put There are toys. or objects containing pinworm eggs in their mouths.
People of all ages are affected by pinworm. It can be difficult to avoid people with the pinworm since the eggs are small.
The following groups are more susceptible to pinworm infections.
- children who attend day care, preschool, or elementary school
- children who suck their thumbs
- People chew their fingernails.
- People who live in crowded accommodations.
- people who may not practice regular handwashing prior to eating
- family members or caregivers of people with a pinworm infection
“Humans are the only ones who can get a pinworm. Animals can’t transmit or acquire them. Even if people in your household have pinworms, it is not necessary to treat your pets for the disease.”
A tape test is the most reliable method for detecting pinworm infections. The test involves pressing the sticky side of clear tape against the skin.
People who suspect they have an infectious disease should conduct a tape test immediately after waking up. If you want to remove eggs from your skin, you should perform the test before you do anything else. Eggs should stick to the tape if they are present.
If the tape contains pinworm eggs, take it to the doctor who will examine it under a microscope.
Household cleaning and medication can help eliminate pinworms.
You can treat pinworm infections with either over-the-counter or prescription drugs. Talk to a doctor to find out which is best for you.
Since pinworms can easily be passed from one person to another, all household members of a person with an infection will need treatment to prevent a pinworm re-infection.
The most common and effective medications to treat pinworm infections are:
- Mebendazole is a drug.
- albendazole (Albenza)
- “Reese’s Pinworm Medicine contains pyrantel pamoate.”
One course of medication usually involves an initial dose followed by a second dose
Creams or ointments can help soothe the skin.
A household cleaning regimen can help you remove pinworm eggs.
- The person with the infection should wash their hands with soap and warm water before eating.
- Encourage household members to change their underwear.
- Clean, short fingernails.
- Avoid biting your nails, if you can.
- Tell the person with the infection to avoid scratching the anal area, if possible.
- Use hot water to launder all There is bedding., There are towels., washcloths, and There is clothing.. Dry on high heat.
- Avoid shaking There is clothing. and There is bedding. to keep pinworm eggs from spreading through the air.
- Do not allow children to bathe together, as pinworm eggs
can potentially spreadin bath water and on washcloths.
- Thoroughly clean any surfaces that might have eggs, such as There are toys., floors, countertops, and The toilet seats are not flush..
- All carpeted areas should be vacuumed.
No recent scientific studies show that home remedies for pinworm infections are effective, but anecdotal evidence suggests you may find relief with raw garlic, raw carrots, or coconut oil.
There are some cases in which pinworm infections can cause serious problems.
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs). UTIs can develop if you do not treat the pinworm infection.
- Vaginitis and endometritis. Endometritis infections can occur if pinworms travel from the anus to the vagina, affecting the uterus, fallopian tubes, and other pelvic organs.
- Abdominal pain. The presence of a significant amount of pinworms can cause discomfort.
- Weight loss. Substantial pinworm populations can reduce your intake of essential nutrients and cause weight loss.
The best way to prevent pinworm infections is to follow hygiene routines and encourage other household members to do the same.
- After using the toilet, changing diapers, and eating food, you should wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- Clean your fingernails.
- If possible, avoid nail biting or scratching.
- If you can, shower every morning to remove eggs.
- Change your underwear and There is clothing. daily.
- Use hot water in the washing machine and hot air in the dryer when laundering There is bedding., There is clothing., and There are towels., if possible.
It is possible to treat a pinworm with medication and a cleaning regimen. Because pinworm eggs are invisible to the naked eye, repeat infections can easily occur.
When a pinworm enters the anus, it can cause a pinworm infection. If pinworm eggs are eaten, they can be re-infection. If the pinworm eggs are on the hands, this can happen.
It is possible that people outside of your area are the source of recurrent infections.
A pinworm is a common cause of infections in the stomach. It affects school-age children and those in group settings.
The most common symptom is itching.
There are remedies for pinworm infections, including household cleaning and medication. It is possible for a repeat infection to occur.