Can Drinking Alcohol While Taking Prozac Lead to Liver Damage?
Prozac is a type of medication. It is a drug in the class of drugs called SSRIs. Prozac is sometimes used to treat anxiety.
While not common, liver injury
“We don’t know much about Prozac and alcohol use, but we do know about the risks.”
Drug-induced liver injury (hepatoxicity) is an acute condition specific to certain medications, supplements, or herbs you may take. Researchers believe this is the
Drug-induced liver injuries are
- Tylenol is a drug.
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as Advil, Motrin IB, or Aleve
- antineoplastic drugs, such as methotrexate
- heart disease medications, such as statins for high cholesterol
- drugs that affect the central nervous system, such as anticonvulsant medications like valproate
- There are supplements for herbal and diet.
Notably, Prozac and other SSRIs aren’t on this list. While Prozac isn’t a common cause of acute liver failure,
Research suggests that
Mixing Prozac with alcohol may lead to other health concerns. Keep in mind that alcohol is a depressive agent. It can be dangerous if you’re taking mental health medications.
Drinking alcohol while taking Prozac may make your medication less effective. According to a
- It is not good to be drowsiness.
- Symptoms of depression are getting worse.
- There is a higher risk of an alcohol overdose.
To date, duloxetine (Cymbalta) is the only antidepressant reported by the
You should also be aware of possible interactions between alcohol and other medications you may take. According to the
- allergy medications, such as antihistamines and decongestants
- Certain anxiety medications.
- There are medications for attention deficit disorder.
- Mood stabilizers.
- medications for angina, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol
- Blood thinners.
- The pain relief.
- medications for certain chronic diseases, such as arthritis and diabetes
Liver damage may not cause symptoms in the early stages. There’s also no specific treatment for liver damage. Once liver damage progresses, it may lead to permanent damage called cirrhosis.
Possible early symptoms of cirrhosis
- There is abdominal pain.
- fatigue and weakness.
- There is reduced appetite and weight loss.
- Nausea and vomiting.
As liver damage worsens, you
- yellowing of your skin and eyes (jaundice)
- easy bruising and bleeding
- abdominal bloating (ascites)
- swelling in your legs and feet (edema)
- memory loss and confusion
- itchy skin
- Dark urine.
Is it safer to wait a few hours after taking Prozac before drinking alcohol?
With long-term medications like Prozac, it doesn’t make a difference if you wait a few hours before drinking alcohol. Medications may interact with alcohol at any point of the day,
How long does Prozac stay in your body?
The exact timeline for medications staying in your body varies, even among SSRIs. Prozac can take 25 days or longer to fully exit your body.
You shouldn’t suddenly stop taking Prozac or change your dose. This
Are there any antidepressants that are OK to take if you want to drink alcohol?
There’s a risk of interactions if you take any antidepressant while drinking alcohol. Additionally, Cymbalta carries
SSRIs aren’t the only types of antidepressants available.
Is liver damage permanent?
Liver damage is generally irreversible. This includes alcohol-related damage to your liver. However, you may be able to prevent further liver damage with lifestyle changes.
If your liver has already incurred damage from alcohol or medications, the best thing you can do is stop drinking alcohol. This may limit further damage to your liver and possibly prevent the development of cirrhosis.
Alcohol and Prozac both pose risks to your health, with alcohol posing a higher risk to your liver. There are other health risks to consider, even though research on the effects of Prozac and alcohol is minimal.
“You shouldn’t drink alcohol while taking Prozac. You may want to discuss your concerns with a doctor since they are also highly individual.”