The 10 Best Nursing Covers for Every Occasion in 2022
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
- Best overall nursing cover: Kids N’ Such Nursing Cover with Built-In Burp Cloth
- Best budget nursing cover: KeaBabies Car Seat Canopy Nursing Cover
- Best multipurpose nursing cover: Milk Snob Cover
- Best lightweight nursing cover: Bebe au Lait Muslin Nursing Scarf
- Best nursing cover for on-the-go use: Hicoco Car Seat Canopy Breastfeeding Cover
- Best patterns on a nursing cover: Copper Pearl Multi-Use Cover
- Most wearable nursing cover: Bamboobies Nursing Shawl
- Best apron-style nursing cover: Bebe au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover
- Best splurge nursing cover: Storq Mama + BB Nursing Cardigan
- Easiest nursing cover to pack: Genovega Multi-Use Nursing Cover
Although you may love breastfeeding or chestfeeding your baby, the thought of doing it in public may not thrill you. No matter how confident you are, the thought of pulling out your nipple in front of strangers might be a lot. It may even leave you feeling worried or anxious to feed.
Not only can anxiety impede milk letdown (and production!), but it can also set the tone for a difficult feeding session. If you’re already nervous about nursing in public, the last thing you want is a fussy baby during the feed!
If you feel this way, you are not alone and there is a solution. The only question left is which one is the right one for you, as nursing covers have allowed many people to feel confident in nursing in public.
There are many types of nursing covers.
- Apron style. Like an apron you’d wear in the kitchen with the string around your waist, these nursing covers slip over your head and cover your chest area.
- Wearable covers. Fashion with a purpose! These nursing covers double as a piece of clothing (e.g., shawl or poncho) that you can wear and then use to cover up when it’s time to nurse.
- Convertible covers. Usually shaped like a large fabric loop, these can act as blankets or as covers for car seats, high chairs, and shopping carts when not in use as a nursing cover.
The nursing covers are really what you want. You will want to find a nursing cover that you both like, because this is all about creating a safe and comfortable space for you and your baby to feed each other.
Most lactating folks prefer a simple cover that doesn’t require a lot of adjustments. Fixing snaps and buckles with a hungry, screaming baby on your hands? No thanks!
If you are new to nursing a baby, you will need to learn how to hold the baby in different positions. You will need to be able to see what you are doing and use both hands.
“In the early days of nursing, a nursing cover that doesn’t block your view will be the most user-friendly. It is possible that any nursing cover will feel like an extra obstacle before you fully get the hang of nursing. It gets easier.”
Babies prefer fabrics that are soft and absorbent. It can get extra hot breastfeeding with a cover on.
“Some babies don’t like having their face covered while they’re nursing. It’s possible that blocking your view will interrupt the lovely bonding that can happen when you and your baby make eye contact.”
One final thing to keep an eye out for: a nursing cover that’s machine washable! Spit-up happens (especially during feeding times), and the last thing you probably need is the extra work of constantly handwashing a nursing cover.
The quality, price, available patterns, and recommendations from breastfeeding parents helped us to choose the best nursing covers.
- $ = under $25
- $$ = $25–$40
- $$$ = over $40
Best overall nursing cover
Kids N’ Such Nursing Cover with Built-In Burp Cloth
- Price: $
- Dimensions: 35 inches x 25 inches
The nursing cover is full and has extra width, so you will get plenty of coverage. The rigid neckline allows for good sight lines as you try to keep your baby warm. The fabric is not too hot so you can avoid sweating up a storm.
The cover has a large burp cloth sewn in for easy transitions between feeding and burping. It comes with a pouch that can be used to hold items like diapers and other items.
“It is a good idea to hang it to dry to make sure it doesn’t shrink.”
- The nursing cover has a sight line with your baby.
- The fabric is not wet.
- It has a carrying pouch.
- You need to hang it to dry.
- The apron style cover is less versatile than other options on the list.
Best budget nursing cover
KeaBabies Car Seat Canopy Nursing Cover
- Price: $
- Dimensions: 24 inches x 31 inches
The KeaBabies nursing cover is hard to find a better deal. The nursing cover is a steal at under 15 dollars and can be used as a car seat cover, high chair cover, and an infinity scarf. It has a panoramic coverage and is made of fabric.
The cover has a matching storage bag which can double as a diaper bag organizers.
“It wasn’t always big enough to cover the car seat, which was the biggest downside for customers.”
- The nursing cover is one of the most affordable options.
- It can be used as a car seat cover, high chair cover, and nursing scarf.
- The fabric is not wet.
- “Reviewers say it isn’t clear.”
- “Reviewers said it wasn’t big enough for their seats.”
- Some customers said the colors looked different than the version advertised.
- The design of the baby Bjorn might not allow for easy view.
Best multipurpose nursing cover
Milk Snob Cover
- Price: $$
- Dimensions: 26 inches x 30 inches
The Milk Snob cover can be used in many ways as a multi-functional option, such as a car seat cover, high seat cover, shopping cart seat cover, and so on.
“The fabric’s quality and protection against various types of weather made it the top choice for our list.”
There is a Star Wars-themed version of the nursing cover.
- There are a variety of fun prints for the cover.
- It can be used for a lot of things, from car seat cover to shopping cart cover.
- Reviewers say the fabric is soft and comfortable.
- It is more expensive than many of the other covers.
- Reviewers complain that the color changed after washing.
- It was difficult to see the baby when it was being fed, so it was frustrating to use.
Best lightweight nursing cover
Bebe au Lait Muslin Nursing Scarf
- Price: $$
- Dimensions: 70-inch circumference, 20-inch width
“When it comes to breastfeeding in the heat, you want something lightweight and breathable, and that’s what you get with muslin.”
“The heat won’t bring you down, because the nursing cover is a variety of patterns and colors. It is Wearable so you don’t need to worry about packing when you leave the house. You can go if you throw the scarf around your neck.”
There is a downside. While it is super stretchy in the heat, it is also more transparent and less breathable.
- The fabric used in the nursing cover is very soft.
- You can use it as a nursing cover.
- It is machine washed.
- The fabric is more transparent than others.
- “The fabric didn’t provide enough coverage.”
Best for on-the-go use
Hicoco Car Seat Canopy Breastfeeding Cover
- Price: $
- Dimensions: around 27 inches x 27 inches
If you need a packable nursing cover, this one from Hicoco is a great choice. The cover is made of an object and has a bag that you can use in between feedings. You can use it as a car seat cover or stretched over high chairs.
It also has full privacy coverage without snaps or other fastenings, so you can be sure that you are feeding your baby in complete privacy. Reviewers said the fabric is stretchy but not see-through.
If you have a tight budget, this multiuse cover could be the way to go.
- You can use the bag between feedings.
- It is a car seat cover, breastfeeding cover, and more.
- The price is hard to beat.
- Reviewers said the cover was too small.
- The material is heavy and lacks the ability to be cooled down in the summer.
Best patterns on a nursing cover
Copper Pearl Multi-Use Cover
- Price: $
- Dimensions: around 26 inches x 27 inches
This cover is multiuse and can be used for a lot of things.
The stretchy fabric is appropriate for various types of weather and can fit a variety of positions while still offering full coverage.
- There are a variety of patterns on the cover.
- It can be used for more than just nursing.
- The medium-weight fabric is great for weather conditions.
- The fabric was thinner than expected.
- “The top doesn’t have a wire, which makes it difficult to open it if you need to see your baby.”
Most wearable nursing cover
Bamboobies Nursing Shawl
- Price: $
- Dimensions: not provided
The nursing shawl is lightweight and quick-drying, making it a great piece of clothing to wear in public. It also has protection for the sun. Many users mention how soft the fabric is.
There is an easy-open side for quick nursing access when your baby is ready to feed.
The company claims it will fit most, but it might not work for everyone.
- The shawl is light and quick to dry.
- It has protection against the sun.
- Reviewers like the fabric.
- The shawl is available in three different colors.
- It may not suit every parent.
- It is only one-size-fits-most, which may not work for everyone.
Best apron-style nursing cover
Bebe au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover
- Price: $$
- Dimensions: 26 inches x 36 inches
The ability to adjust at the neck makes it easier to check on a baby and get good air. There are two pockets to hold things.
“The lightweight material can keep you cool in the summer, but it may not keep you warm in the winter. It isn’t multi-use.”
- The apron has a neck that is adjusted so it is easier to check on your baby.
- It has two internal pockets that you can use to keep things dry.
- You can buy it in a variety of colors.
- This was difficult to use and more revealing than a blanket draped over their shoulder, which some parents found difficult to use.
- It may not provide enough warmth in the cooler months.
Best splurge nursing cover
Storq Mama + BB Nursing Cardigan
- Price: $$$
- Dimensions: XS/S shoulder 39 inches, body length 34 inches; M/L shoulder 41 inches, body length 35.5 inches; XL/XXL shoulder 43 inches, body length 37 inches
This cardigan is a stylish option for people looking for a nursing cover that still looks trendy. The cardigan is made mostly of alpaca, but also includes nylon and wool, and many reviewers praise its soft feel.
The cardigan has two snaps, one at the front and one at the shoulder. The company says that these can be used for discreet nursing.
“The product isn’t machine washed. It is a pain to keep clean when you are breastfeeding an infant. It is also much more expensive than other options.”
- The cardigan is stylish and can be worn all day.
- It has snaps at the center in the front and at the shoulder to allow you to nurse discreetly.
- Reviewers love how soft it is.
- The cardigan is only dry clean, which could make it difficult for a small child.
- It is the most expensive option on our list.
- It is difficult to find your size online because the fit is large.
Easiest nursing cover to pack
Genovega Multi-Use Nursing Cover
- Price: $
- Dimensions: not provided
“It’s easy to pack something you can wear out the door yourself. The nursing cover can be thrown over a car seat or stroller to make up for the extra space in the diaper bag.”
“The bamboo fabric is soft. The material is naturally non-irritating, so you don’t have to worry about it causing any problems on your baby’s skin. It has spandex, which will stretch for pulling over a stroller or car seat.”
- The cover is used for a variety of things, including a poncho, nursing cover, stroller cover, and more.
- The fabric is made from bamboo.
- This cover is affordable.
- The fabric was sheerer than expected.
- Some people said the fit was too short or that the armholes were too large to provide privacy.
|Product||Price||Fabric||Best for||Dimensions (in inches)|
|Kids N’ Such Nursing Cover with Built-In Burp Cloth||$||cotton||apron style||35 x 25|
|KeaBabies Car Seat Canopy Nursing Cover||$||rayon||multiple uses||24 x 31|
|Milk Snob Cover||$$||rayon and spandex||multiple uses||26 x 30|
|Bebe au Lait Muslin Nursing Scarf||$$||cotton muslin||style and wearability||70 circumference, 20 width|
|Hicoco Car Seat Canopy Breastfeeding Cover||$||not provided||multiple uses and cold weather||around 27 x 27|
|Copper Pearl Multi-Use Cover||$||rayon blend||multiple uses||around 26 x 27|
|Bamboobies Nursing Shawl||$$||bamboo||wearability||not provided|
|Bebe au Lait Cotton Nursing Cover||$$||cotton||apron style||26 x 36|
|Storq Mama + BB Nursing Cardigan||$$$||alpaca, nylon, and wool blend||style and wearability||shoulder: 39–43; body length: 34–37|
|Genovega Multi-Use Nursing Cover||$||bamboo blend||multiple uses||not provided|
Is a nursing cover necessary?
Nursing covers might make you more comfortable in public. A nursing cover is a simple solution that might make breastfeeding easier and less nerve-wracking if you are feeling stressed about breastfeeding in front of other people. It is all about making you and your baby feel safe.
If you decide to nurse without a cover, you can still use them as a wardrobe cover or as a shopping cart cover.
How do I use the nursing cover in public?
The style of nursing cover you use depends on it. If you choose an apron style cover, you should drape it over your head and feed your baby from underneath. The wire necklines are rigid, so you can see them with some of these styles.
If you purchase a tube-shaped one, you will slide it over your head, but your arms will likely be inside. If your baby is having trouble getting into the bottle, you may want to look for a different style of nursing cover.
If you use a snap or a fastening to hold the fabric closed, you can nurse in the Wearable cover. The Bamboobies poncho will allow you to slide your baby under the cover during feedings.
Are nurse covers with wires safe?
The wires that open the apron style covers give you the chance to see your child as you nurse. They can give your baby better air flow.
There aren’t specific recommendations or research that support or discourage the use of covers that include wires, so in the end, it purely boils down to preference.
The right nursing cover might make you feel more comfortable feeding your baby in public. It can double as a car seat cover, blanket, or clothing item, so it is well spent, depending on the type of nursing cover you want.