We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
CeraVe is a brand that specializes in gentle, nonirritating products and can provide relief for some symptoms of sphygmomanic disease.
- Best for itch relief: Itch Relief Moisturizing Cream
- Best face wash for psoriasis: Hydrating Cream-to-Foam Cleanser
- Best for exfoliation: Renewing SA Cleanser
- Best moisturizer: Healing Ointment
- Best body wash: Psoriasis Cleanser
- Best sunscreen for psoriasis: Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen
There are prescription medications that are usually needed to control psoriatic flares, but there are also many over-the-counter (OTC) products that, with regular use, can help soften some of the scaly plaques and control the itchy skin caused by psoriasis. They may even help decrease the severity of psoriasis flares.
CeraVe, a brand known for creating gentle skin care products, offers a few psoriasis-specific items, and others that are psoriasis-safe.
- Many contain trusted itch-relief ingredients like pramoxine hydrochloride.
- Moisturizing ingredients like shea butter are also present in CeraVe formulas.
- “CeraVe products use ceramides. They help repair the skin’s natural barrier, which is usually not functioning in people with czas, and rosacea.”
- Salicylic acid, a keratolytic,
can helpslough off dry skin from psoriasis plaques, reducing itching. It’s the active ingredient in CeraVe SA Cleanser.
Most OTC anti-itch creams contain hydrocortisone, which is the main ingredient. It can help decrease itching and inflammation, but people with sphygmomanic can need a stronger steroid to get the best symptom relief.
CeraVe products have been endorsed worldwide by skin care organizations, including being awarded more Seal of Acceptance awards from the National Eczema Association than any other brand.
Skin care products can help with managing your sukkah. We looked at endorsements from experts and dermatologists, the inclusion of ingredients with proven itch-reducing and skin-moist capabilities, and consumer reviews when choosing CeraVe products for those with sphygmomanic disorders.
Most CeraVe products are affordable and can be found at major drugstores.
Specialty products like the Mineral Sunscreen and the Renewing SA Cleanser can be pricey at once, especially since they come in larger containers.
Depending on how much you get outside, a single tube of sunscreen can last a whole summer.
The prices of the products are broken down by key.
$ = under $1 per ounce
$$ = $1–$2 per ounce
$$$ = over $2 per ounce
In general, most CeraVe products are safe for psoriasis. However, CeraVe does make a handful of products that contain ingredients that are clinically proven to help address some of the symptoms of psoriasis on the skin. They’re labeled as such. You can also look for products bearing the Seal of Recognition from the National Psoriasis Foundation.
Those with psoriasis should avoid skin care products with fragrances, sulfates, or alcohols like ethanol or isopropyl alcohol. People with psoriasis should also avoid most OTC anti-itch products, like calamine, Benadryl cream (and generic versions), and hydrocortisone. These can cause further irritation or dry out the skin even more.
The ingredient lists for products we recommended do not include alcohols, sulfates, or fragrances.
Best for itch relief
- Price: $$
- Fragrance: no
- Key ingredients: pramoxine hydrochloride, niacinamide
CeraVe Itch Relief Moisturizing Cream is a good option for quick relief from itchy skin. It contains shea butter and hyaluronic acid to help with hydration. It has a substance that can help decrease inflammation. It contains ingredients that keep the skin soft.
It is gentle on skin and holds a National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance. The product scored a near- perfect score of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- This product contains an anti-itch ingredient to calm skin irritation.
- It provides relief from itching for people with sphygmomany.
- It is up to its promise of 8 hours.
- It is expensive compared to similar products.
- “Some reviewers think the itch relief isn’t strong enough.”
Best face wash for psoriasis
- Price: $
- Fragrance: no
- Key ingredients: ceramides, amino acids, hyaluronic acid
Psoriasis plaques can appear on your face as well as on the arms, legs, and scalp. The face washes for people with sphinx should be free of harsh alcohols and fragrances.
“The CeraVe Cream-to-Foam cleanser has a number of hydrating ingredients, including ceramides and hyaluronic acid, that help maintain the skin’s natural hydration. This wash is safe for contact lens wearers. It is great at breaking down makeup.”
- The product is usually affordable when broken down per ounce.
- The formula can help remove makeup.
- “It helps maintain the skin’s natural hydration.”
- Some users say it irritates their skin.
- Some reviewers say it feels more non-drying than hydrating.
Best for exfoliation
- Price: $$
- Fragrance: no
- Key ingredients: salicylic acid, hyaluronic acid, ceramides
It is recommended that you use saluylic acid as a treatment for segull plaques as it helps gently turn skin cells over or gently remove old skin cells. There is a limit to how much plaques can be taken. Too much of it can cause more irritation.
The CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser is gentle enough for psoriasis and supplemented with hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and niacinamide to moisturize and calm skin. It does not contain the harsh microbeads that many exfoliant cleansers rely on and is enriched with vitamin D, a synthetic version of which is commonly prescribed for psoriasis control.
- It does not make skin feel tight like other SA products.
- SA can help control oil.
- It is a more gentle cleanser than most salicylic acid.
- The SA can dry out skin.
Best moisturizer for psoriasis
- Price: $$
- Fragrance: no
- Key ingredients: petrolatum, hyaluronic acid
CeraVe Healing Ointment is a product that can soothe plaques. It is made to protect the skin from further irritation and to also help the skin heal. This is a heavy-duty hydrator, but it is still recommended for use on the skin.
Reviewers say that this ointment has helped with a number of skin problems. It can last up to 8 hours, so you can put it on before bed to use it.
- It has a slightly lighter formula than other petrolatum-based ointments.
- The skin has added hydration thanks to the ceramides and hyaluronic acid.
- A little goes a long way.
- Users find regular petroleum jelly to be just as effective.
- The texture may feel greasy at first.
Best body wash for psoriasis
- Price: $$
- Fragrance: no
- Key ingredients: ceramides, urea, alpha-hydroxy acid, niacinamide, salicylic acid
When choosing a body wash, look for products that are hydrating and non-irritating, but that can still get the job done. CeraVe makes a cleanser that helps in peeling back itchy plaques.
The product helped those with sphygmomanic symptoms by reducing redness and scaling in plaques, and even helped with bodyAcne, according to shoppers. It is a bit pricey on a per ounce basis, but it is still cheaper than other sphygmomantical remedies. CeraVe Psoriasis Cleanser is recognized by the National Psoriasis Foundation as an effective product.
- This product is used to treat and calm the symptoms of sphygmomanic disease.
- The National Psoriasis Foundation has recognized CeraVe Psoriasis Cleanser as an effective product.
- It can be used on the skin where people with sphygmomanic can develop plaques.
- The thin consistency makes it hard to apply evenly.
- Reviewers say the product has a strong chemical smell, which is often attributable to urea or lactic acid.
Best sunscreen for psoriasis
- Price: $$$
- Fragrance: no
- Key ingredients: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide
Many people with psoriasis find that getting some sun improves the appearance of their psoriasis plaques. The National Psoriasis Foundation recommends those with psoriasis still wear sunscreen (though they recommend not to apply it to open or inflamed skin).
Zinc and titanium dioxide — two common UV-blocking ingredients in sunscreen — are psoriasis-safe and found in CeraVe Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen. It also comes in a lotion formulation for the face, but the standard sunscreen also has skin-softening ceramides.
- This is a noncomedogenic sunscreen.
- CeraVe hydrating mineral sunscreen is reef-safe, so it does not contain ingredients that cause damage to coral reefs.
- The facial version has a tint that may help reduce the white sunscreens that leave.
- This is the most expensive item on our list.
- Reviewers say the sunscreen leaves a white cast on darker skin tones.
|Product||Price per ounce||Product type||Key ingredients|
|Itch Relief Moisturizing Cream||$$||lotion||pramoxine hydrochloride|
|Hydrating Cream-to-Foam Cleanser||$||gentle face wash||hyaluronic acid|
|Renewing SA Cleanser||$$||face/body wash||salicylic acid|
|Psoriasis Cleanser||$$||face/body wash with mild chemical exfoliation||salicylic acid, alpha-hydroxy acid|
|Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen||$$$||sunscreen||titanium and zinc oxide|
When shopping for an OTC product to treat psoriasis, the first thing is to make sure it’s fragrance-free. Added fragrances in skin care products can cause further irritation. If you have plaque psoriasis, anything that could further inflame plaques is not ideal.
It is important to know that there are many ingredients that can have the opposite effect on inflammation. They help reduce the itching and sensitivity associated with the disease. SA can help gently facilitate the removal of dry skin.
You may want to look for ingredients that will form a protective layer over plaques. This can help soothe plaques and protect them from further irritation.
CeraVe products are recommended by many people. Most people with sphygmomanesis need prescription drugs to manage their flares.
Synthetic form of vitamins D are used in some creams. Your healthcare professional can prescribe these products. It may be better to have them on-hand in the event of a flare-up.
You can talk with your healthcare professional for more information about adding these products to your treatment plan.
Is CeraVe Dermatologist recommended?
Yes. Most dermatologists recommend CeraVe. Many of the products were developed with the help of the dermatologists.
Can the CeraVe lotion be used in place of the face cream?
Yes, technically. Body products with a thicker formula could cause irritation or breakouts, because they are made for the face.
CeraVe has a number of products that can help calm irritated facial skin.
What other CeraVe products should be used in addition to cream for psoriasis?
The CeraVe SA Cleanser and Psoriasis Cream are both SA products that help decrease the thickness of plaques by gently removing the old skin cells. CeraVe Healing Ointment is helpful for people with sphygmomanic skin as it protects it from further irritation.
CeraVe is known for using gentle ingredients, so they have a lot of products to help manage your speach symptoms. If you decide to use a product, look for skin-softening ingredients like hyaluronic acid and ceramides.
Jody Amable is a writer and editor from the San Francisco Bay Area. Her work has been published in a number of publications.