Wegovy and Cost: What You Need to Know
If you’re looking at treatment options for weight management, you may be interested to learn more about Wegovy (semaglutide) and its cost factors.
Wegovy is a prescription drug used for weight loss and long-term weight management in adults. It’s used together with lifestyle changes that include a low calorie diet and exercise.
It’s prescribed to help manage weight in adults with a body mass index (BMI) of:
- 30 or higher (obesity), or
- 27 or higher is a weight related health condition.
Wegovy comes as a liquid solution inside a prefilled single-dose pen. You’ll use the pen to give yourself a subcutaneous injection (an injection under your skin). You’ll usually do this once per week.
You can read about how to save money on the price of prescriptions.
Note: For more details on Wegovy, see this in-depth article.
The price you pay for Wegovy can vary. Your cost may depend on your treatment plan, your insurance coverage (if you have it), and the pharmacy you use. To find out how much you’ll pay for Wegovy, talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or insurance provider.
The cost of Wegovy can be different depending on a number of factors.
Your price with insurance coverage depends on your plan.
- copay (a set amount you pay for each prescription based on the tier the drug is in)
- coinsurance (a percentage you pay for drugs and services after you’ve reached your deductible and until you’ve met your annual out-of-pocket maximum)
The cost of the drug is one of many factors that the insurance company takes into account when setting the price of a drug.
The price with insurance can be affected by the amount of the drug and the dosage.
The price of Wegovy can be affected by factors such as your pharmacy and Your dose.. Different prices may be charged by different pharmacies.
If you don’t have insurance coverage, check with a few pharmacies to find the best price. You can also learn about cost savings on the manufacturer’s website.
For more information about saving money on prescriptions, see “Can I get help paying for Wegovy?”
Is Wegovy covered by insurance?
“Maybe. The amount of the drug’s cost is covered by insurance. Not every insurance company covers this drug.”
Some insurance companies may not cover certain types of medication. To find out, call a plan representative. They will be able to give you more information about your coverage.
You can also check the manufacturer’s website to see if your plan covers Wegovy. (The site does say that insurance coverage is not widely available.)
Cost may depend on whether Wegovy is covered by insurance.
- Where you get the prescription?
- Your dose.
- if you’re eligible for a Wegovy savings card (a savings program to lower the cost of the drug)
If you have an insurance provider, they can give you more information about cost and coverage.
There are answers to some questions about Wegovy.
Is a Wegovy coupon available for people without insurance coverage?
There isn’t a coupon, but the drug’s manufacturer has a savings card. This can save you money on your prescription if you meet certain eligibility requirements. It may be used if you have insurance or if you’re paying out of pocket for Wegovy.
You can learn more about cost savings options in the section called “Can I get help paying for Wegovy?”
Does Wegovy have a copay card?
No, but the manufacturer offers a savings card for those with or without insurance coverage. If you’re eligible for the cost savings card, it’ll help you save on the cost of the drug.
You can find more information on ways to save money on your prescription in the below information.
If you use Wegovy long term, you can lower your cost in a number of ways.
- Look into getting a 90-day supply of your medication. You may be able to get a 90-day supply of Wegovy if approved by your insurance company. This could reduce your number of trips to the pharmacy and help lower the drug’s price per month. If you’re interested in getting a 90-day supply of this drug, talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or insurance provider. Keep in mind, if your insurance company doesn’t cover the cost of Wegovy, getting a 90-day supply may be more expensive.
- Use a mail-order pharmacy to get your medication. Using a mail-order pharmacy might help lower your monthly cost of Wegovy. And you could get your medication without leaving home. If you don’t have health insurance, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. They may be able to suggest online pharmacy options that could work for you. You can then check with different mail-order pharmacies to compare the monthly cost of Wegovy.
If you need help understanding your insurance, check out these websites.
You can find information on insurance, drug cost assistance programs, and links to savings cards on these sites.
If you have questions about how to pay for your prescription, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. And be sure to check out the drug manufacturer’s website for information about the Wegovy savings card.
Wegovy is only available as a brand-name drug. It’s not currently available as a generic. (A generic medication contains an exact copy of the active drug in a brand-name medication but tends to cost less.)
Why is there such a difference in the cost of brand-name drugs vs. generic drugs?
“Years of research and testing are needed to make sure that brand-name drugs are safe and effective. The drugs can be expensive if they are tested. The manufacturer of a drug can sell it for 20 years. Generic versions can be created by other drug manufacturers. The market can lead to lower prices for generics. Generics have the same ingredients as brand-name drugs, so they don’t need to be studied again. This can lead to lower costs.”
If you still have questions, you can talk to your doctor or pharmacist. They may be able to give you a better idea of what you will pay. If you have health insurance, you need to talk to your insurance provider to find out the actual cost for Wegovy.
You can ask your doctor or insurance provider questions.
- Does the cost of Wegovy depend on my dose?
- Is there any other lower cost treatments for my condition?
- I would not need to use Wegovy if I could change my lifestyle.
If you’re looking for tips on weight loss and suggestions for eating a healthy diet, sign up for Healthline’s nutrition newsletter.
Disclaimer: Healthline has made every effort to make certain that all information is factually correct, comprehensive, and up to date. However, this article should not be used as a substitute for the knowledge and expertise of a licensed healthcare professional. You should always consult your doctor or another healthcare professional before taking any medication. The drug information contained herein is subject to change and is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. The absence of warnings or other information for a given drug does not indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for all patients or all specific uses.